1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How hard is it to get into graduate programs for physics?

1. May 18, 2006 #1
    In general, places like MIT or Caltech or Stanford, and other places that aren't as "good"(yah I know good's relative and subjective, hence the quotes)I was talking to a guy who had a 3.9 GPA, research experience, and from my own personal knowledge really good at math, and he didn't even get a rejection letter from Caltech, he had to call(though that probably really was a mistake on their part, the not mailing the letter)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2006 #2
    Like I'll probably graduate with only a 3.4 GPA, and I didn't even realize until recently that I should even be trying to pursue undergrad research. I don't know where to look or who to ask and I figure this screws me outta the top choices for grad school
  4. May 18, 2006 #3
    First thing is that people(not just you) need to get over the silly obsession with 'top' schools. It is really quite silly. Over 1000 physics PhDs graduate in the US each year. Princeton lists 116 physics grad students. At an average of six years to graduate thats 19 per year. Caltech lists 21 PhDs granted last year. So what about the 900 or so students that don't get their PhDs from one of these 'top' schools?

You should be choosing what schools to apply to based on your research interests, not the name brand of the school.
  5. May 19, 2006 #4
    heh, very good point, thanks!
  6. May 19, 2006 #5
    Its all about going to a school that does the kind of research you enjoy. Nothing else really ever mattered. Sure its nice to have a top name school but in the end it is your work that will speak volumes for you as a scientist.
  7. May 22, 2006 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?