How hard is Real Analysis 2 compared to Real Analysis 1?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of taking Real Analysis 1 and 2 in one semester, as well as the option of also taking Elementary Number Theory. The speaker notes that Analysis 1 is the hardest course in the sequence, but Analysis 2 builds upon the techniques learned in Analysis 1. They also mention that Elementary Number Theory is not very difficult. The course descriptions for both Analysis 1 and 2 are provided and the speaker suggests that taking Analysis 2 after successfully completing Analysis 1 is a reasonable sequence.
SMA_01
Is it a lot harder? I'm taking Real Analysis 1 this semester, and am planning on taking the second part to the course in the Winter.
Also, would it be a bad idea to take Real Analysis 2 and Elementary Number Theory in one semester?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I found it noticeably harder, but it's not a really big leap or anything.

Please post the course descriptions of both Real Analysis 1 and 2; those course titles mean completely different things between different schools.

PieceOfPi said:
Please post the course descriptions of both Real Analysis 1 and 2; those course titles mean completely different things between different schools.

Analysis 1:

Properties of the real number system; point set theory for the real line including the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem; sequences, functions of one variable: limits and continuity, differentiability, Reimann integrability.

Analysis 2:

Includes the rigorous study of functions of two and more variables, partial differentiation and multiple integration. Special topics include: Taylor Series, Implicit Function Theorem, Weierstrass Approximation Theorem, Arzela-Ascoli Theorem.

I can't comment on the analysis part, but elementary number theory is not very hard. All the theorems involve basic algebraic manipulations, and mods (which you should be use to by now).

SMA_01 said:
Analysis 1:

Properties of the real number system; point set theory for the real line including the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem; sequences, functions of one variable: limits and continuity, differentiability, Reimann integrability.

Analysis 2:

Includes the rigorous study of functions of two and more variables, partial differentiation and multiple integration. Special topics include: Taylor Series, Implicit Function Theorem, Weierstrass Approximation Theorem, Arzela-Ascoli Theorem.

If you got through Analysis 1 alive, then you won't find Analysis 2 much harder. In fact, I think Analysis 1 is the hardest course since you got to get used to the techniques and proofs of analysis. In analysis 2, you're already used to that. So you won't find it too difficult.

SMA_01 said:
Analysis 1:

Analysis 2:

Thanks! Based on the course descriptions, Analysis 2 sounds like a very reasonable sequence that follows Analysis 1. It can hard in a sense that the materials build upon what you learned in analysis 1 (afterall, you need to be solid on the analysis of R^1 in order to learn the analysis of R^n). On the other hand, if you have a solid understanding of analysis 1, analysis 2 shouldn't be too hard, since you will see same kinds of techniques from analysis 1 again.

Thank you, that was helpful :smile:

1. Is Real Analysis 2 more difficult than Real Analysis 1?

It depends on the individual's understanding and approach towards the subject. Real Analysis 2 builds upon the concepts learned in Real Analysis 1, so it may seem more challenging at first. However, with consistent effort and practice, it can be manageable.

2. What are the main differences between Real Analysis 1 and Real Analysis 2?

Real Analysis 2 covers more advanced topics such as measure theory, Lebesgue integration, and metric spaces. It also requires a deeper understanding of the concepts learned in Real Analysis 1.

3. How much more time should I dedicate to studying for Real Analysis 2 compared to Real Analysis 1?

The amount of time needed to study for Real Analysis 2 may vary for each individual. It is recommended to spend extra time reviewing and practicing the concepts learned in Real Analysis 1 before moving on to the more advanced topics in Real Analysis 2.

4. Will Real Analysis 2 be more challenging if I struggled with Real Analysis 1?

Real Analysis 2 may be more challenging for those who struggled with Real Analysis 1, as it builds upon the concepts learned in the first course. However, with proper understanding and practice, it is still possible to succeed in Real Analysis 2.

5. How can I prepare for Real Analysis 2 if I found Real Analysis 1 difficult?

It is important to review and strengthen your understanding of the concepts learned in Real Analysis 1 before starting Real Analysis 2. You can also seek help from professors or tutors and practice with additional resources or exercises to improve your understanding.