How has COVID affected your school?

In summary, the students' grades are dropping because they feel disconnected from their school and university days are not as fun as they once were because of COVID.
Trollfaz
I am studying Data Science in University right now and because of COVID lessons are 95% online. I have to watch the webinar for 2 whole hours and because of that my grades are dropping as I have no mood to study. Academics asides I also felt socially disconnected in my school because I can't see my classmates and interact with them. My university days are supposed to be my most fun and engaging days but COVID took all the happiness away .
Anyone else feels that their education is getting disturbed by the virus

Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
It’s not only the virus that has taken your fun. When I went to school in the 1970s, my fun was taken because I had to work 20-30 hours a week to pay for my college and after graduation for my loans. My only fun was a half hour private karate lesson a week as I couldn’t afford to take two lessons as others had done. I wasn't the only student juggling studies with work.

World and local events often shape what we can and can’t do. Students during the great war years may have gone to school but had nothing but worries for their families, for their friends and for their country Perhaps feeling guilty for studying and not helping out.

Try not to feel so entitled, throughout history students have struggled to get into and go to college. The fun is in the learning not just the attending class. We often hoped for take home exams and projects but colleges of the time were very hands on ie must attend class, must attend lab, must do well… and so your fun must be measured and enjoyed like a rare treat.

Lastly, find a way to get motivated, lockup your phone and tablet, get off social media and immerse yourself in your studies and just take care of yourself.

Likes russ_watters and sysprog
Your university should have services available to you - such as health and counselling, or simply academic guidance - which you should utilise.

Likes Klystron and jedishrfu
Imagine that you are working in a COVID lab and a surge hits right as the semester begins. Again.

If you have to work full-time and don’t have a schedule that allows you to be on campus, it’s actually the best time to take courses that colleges wouldn’t offer online prior. It’s an opportunity for some people!

I agree that in-person classes offer more guidance/pressure and that online work requires more self-discipline.

Maybe this would be a good time to try and earn some extra income? It would give you some social interaction? Do you have any hobbies? Do you like to self-study?

Likes jedishrfu
Trollfaz said:
Anyone else feels that their education is getting disturbed by the virus
You're not alone. I think most of my students transitioned well between on-ground to remote classes, but there were a few where, like you, their motivation really suffered when everything went online. As an instructor, I hate it too. It often feels like I'm talking into a void during class.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it other than perhaps taking some time off to try wait out the pandemic. Of course, that choice has its own drawbacks and is probably not one you're willing to make.

Likes jedishrfu

1. How has COVID affected your school's daily operations?

COVID has greatly impacted our school's daily operations. We have had to implement strict safety measures such as mandatory mask wearing, frequent hand washing, and social distancing protocols. Additionally, we have had to adjust our schedules and teaching methods to accommodate for remote learning.

2. How has COVID impacted the learning experience for students?

COVID has definitely affected the learning experience for students. With the shift to remote learning, students have had to adapt to a new way of learning and may experience challenges with technology or staying engaged. Additionally, the lack of in-person interaction with teachers and peers can also impact the learning experience.

3. How has COVID affected the mental health of students and staff?

COVID has had a significant impact on the mental health of both students and staff. The constant changes and uncertainty can cause stress and anxiety. Additionally, the isolation and lack of social interaction can also take a toll on mental health. It is important for schools to provide resources and support for those struggling with their mental health during this time.

4. How has COVID affected extracurricular activities and events?

COVID has greatly impacted extracurricular activities and events at our school. Many activities and events have been cancelled or postponed due to safety concerns. For those that are still able to take place, they may look different with limited participants and safety measures in place.

5. How has COVID affected the financial aspect of your school?

COVID has had a significant impact on the financial aspect of our school. With the shift to remote learning, there may have been additional expenses for technology and resources. Additionally, there may be a decrease in funding and donations due to the economic effects of the pandemic.