1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How he concluded that?Spivak's calculus

1. Aug 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So the question is : Find all continious functions such that ##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x} f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t##= ((f(x)^2)+C , what interests me is the way the solutions book presented the solution , not the solution itself .
    in the solution , it starts with this , clrealy f^2 is differentiable at every point ( it's derivative at x is f(x) ) So **f is differentiable at x whenever **f(x)=/=0****? I have no idea how that can be concluded , this is from Spivak's calculus , if you diffrentiate by the ftc it's clearly f(x)=f(x)f'(x)
    but he said that before even giving this formula, the differentiablity of f^2 dosen't have a relation with f(x)=/=0
    EDIT : I know that f(x)=f(x)f'(x) What i don't inderstand is this 'clrealy f^2 is differentiable at every point ( it's derivative is f) So f(x)=/=0" why f(x) mustn't equal 0?

##
    2. Relevant equations
    included above
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

f(x)=0 is also a function, and solution of the problem. But there is also an other "non-trivial" solution.

ehild

4. Aug 9, 2013 #3
    so when he wrotes whenever f(x)=/=0 he mean't the function f(x)=0 not the points where f(x)=0?it makes sense now

5. Aug 10, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, he wants to find the solution not identically zero.

ehild

6. Aug 10, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does that mean ##(f(x))^2## or ##f(x^2)##? I'm guessing the first.

But ##f(x)f'(x)## is not the derivative of ##f^2(x)##. Am I missing something here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted