1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adequate proof? Spivak's Calculus ; Dense sets

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be a dense set**. Prove that if f is continuous and f(x) = 0 for all x in A, then f(x) = 0 for all x.

**A dense set is defined, in the book, as a set which contains a point in every open interval, such as the set of all irrational or all rational numbers.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I looked in the answer book, and spivak's proof is much different than mine. I want to know whether mine is adequate.
    I began by considering a point (α, f(α)) such that f(α)<0. I then stated that there would have to be some σ so that f(x)<0 for all x such that α-σ < x <α+σ. This, however, contradicts the initial statement that A is a dense set (since f<0 for all x in (α-σ, α+σ)).
    I had an almost identical argument for f>0, which i wish not to type. So does this prove that f(x)=0 for all x?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't state it carefully, but what you are showing is that if f is continuous at ##\alpha## and ##f(\alpha) < 0## then you get a contradiction to A being dense. That is an indirect argument which is a reasonable way to prove it.

4. Jul 17, 2016 #3
    Alright, so to correct it I should just explicitly state that f is continuous at α?

5. Jul 18, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could write: Suppose ##f## is continuous at ##\alpha## and ##f(\alpha)< 0##. Then blahdy blah blah....which is a contradiction to ##A## being dense. Therefore ##f(x)## is identically zero. But instead of assuming ##f(\alpha) < 0## I would start with ##f(\alpha) \ne 0## and use absolute value signs in your argument so you don't have to do two cases.

6. Jul 18, 2016 #5
    That does seem simpler. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted