How High Was the Girl Above the Water When She Released the Rope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
New-Blu-Blood
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


On a hot summer day, a young girl swings on a rope above the local swimming hole . When she let's go of the rope her initial velocity is 2.10 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees above the horizontal. If she is in flight for 0.615 s, how high above the water was she when she let go of the rope?


Homework Equations



The equation I used to try to solve for the problem was y=(v0sin(theta))t-.5gt2

The Attempt at a Solution



I know the angle is 35 degrees, initial velocity is 2.10 m/s and that initial X and Y positions are both zero. I plug my numbers into the equation given above and get 3.15 for y. The answer in the back of the book says 1.07 meters, but I can't figure out how they arrived at this answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I messed the calculation up a little. Here should be the correct calculation.

y= (2.10 x sin 35).615 - .5(-9.80).6152 = 2.59 or 3
 
New-Blu-Blood said:
Ok, I think I messed the calculation up a little. Here should be the correct calculation.

y= (2.10 x sin 35).615 - .5(-9.80).6152 = 2.59 or 3
When you use the formula
y = vo*t - 0.5*g*t^2, you assume that y and vo are in the upward direction and g is in the downward direction. So you should not use -g in the equation.