1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding speed of stone when it hits the ground.

Tags:
  1. Oct 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small rock is thrown upward with a speed of 30ft/s from the edge of a building 200ft above the ground. What is the speed of the rock when it hits the ground? Use acceleration due to gravity as –32ft/s squared.

2. Relevant equations
    integral of acceleration= v(t)
    integral of v(t)= position

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that v(t)=30, the initial position is 200 and acceleration=-32 and I know the problem is asking for the velocity of the rock, I visualize this problem under the interval [a,b] so it's asking for the velocity at b when the rock hits the ground. I just have no idea how all of the information fits together to set up an integral equation. Any help with this initial set up would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Problems like this are easier to solve using energy conservation. You just equate the final kinetic energy (KE) to the initial KE plus initial potential energy (PE). You use PE = mgh where h is height and m is mass, and KE ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##.

Are you allowed to use energy?

4. Oct 2, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are told that the acceleration is a constant -32 ft/sec^2 so dv/dt= -32 or dv= -32dt. That should be a very easy integration. Further dx/dt= v (where x is height above the ground). Once you know v(t), that will be an easy integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted