Finding speed of stone when it hits the ground.

In summary: Then you can set x= 0 (ground level) and solve for t. Finally, use v(t) to find v(0).In summary, the problem gives a small rock thrown upward with a speed of 30ft/s from the edge of a building 200ft above the ground. We are asked to find the speed of the rock when it hits the ground using acceleration due to gravity as –32ft/s squared. Using the equations for acceleration and velocity, we can set up an integral equation to solve for the velocity at the ground level. We can also use energy conservation to solve the problem.
justinm326

Homework Statement

A small rock is thrown upward with a speed of 30ft/s from the edge of a building 200ft above the ground. What is the speed of the rock when it hits the ground? Use acceleration due to gravity as –32ft/s squared.

Homework Equations

integral of acceleration= v(t)
integral of v(t)= position

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v(t)=30, the initial position is 200 and acceleration=-32 and I know the problem is asking for the velocity of the rock, I visualize this problem under the interval [a,b] so it's asking for the velocity at b when the rock hits the ground. I just have no idea how all of the information fits together to set up an integral equation. Any help with this initial set up would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Problems like this are easier to solve using energy conservation. You just equate the final kinetic energy (KE) to the initial KE plus initial potential energy (PE). You use PE = mgh where h is height and m is mass, and KE ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##.

Are you allowed to use energy?

justinm326 said:

Homework Statement

A small rock is thrown upward with a speed of 30ft/s from the edge of a building 200ft above the ground. What is the speed of the rock when it hits the ground? Use acceleration due to gravity as –32ft/s squared.

Homework Equations

integral of acceleration= v(t)
integral of v(t)= position

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v(t)=30, the initial position is 200 and acceleration=-32 and I know the problem is asking for the velocity of the rock, I visualize this problem under the interval [a,b] so it's asking for the velocity at b when the rock hits the ground. I just have no idea how all of the information fits together to set up an integral equation. Any help with this initial set up would be great
You are told that the acceleration is a constant -32 ft/sec^2 so dv/dt= -32 or dv= -32dt. That should be a very easy integration. Further dx/dt= v (where x is height above the ground). Once you know v(t), that will be an easy integration.

What factors affect the speed of a stone when it hits the ground?

The speed of a stone when it hits the ground is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the stone, the height from which it is dropped, and the effects of air resistance. The surface on which the stone lands can also impact its speed, as well as any obstacles or friction it encounters during its fall.

How can the speed of a stone be calculated?

The speed of a stone can be calculated using the formula speed = distance/time. The distance can be measured from the starting point to the point of impact, and the time can be measured using a stopwatch or by calculating the time it takes for the stone to fall from a known height.

What units are used to measure the speed of a stone?

The speed of a stone is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) can also be used depending on the preference of the scientist or the specific experiment being conducted.

Does the mass of the stone affect its speed when it hits the ground?

Yes, the mass of the stone does affect its speed when it hits the ground. According to the law of gravity, all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass. However, a heavier stone will have a greater force of impact when it hits the ground compared to a lighter stone, which can result in a higher speed upon impact.

Can the speed of a stone when it hits the ground be changed?

Yes, the speed of a stone when it hits the ground can be changed by altering the factors that affect its speed. For example, changing the height from which the stone is dropped or the initial velocity can impact its speed upon impact. Additionally, objects such as parachutes or air resistance can be used to slow down the stone and decrease its speed when it hits the ground.