How i find the Local minimum or Maximum Of the Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding local minimum and maximum points in a given function. The topic of absolute minimum and maximum is also mentioned. The participants clarify the difference between finding turning points and showing that a function does not have any turning points. Ultimately, it is concluded that there are no local maximum or minimum points in the given function.
omni
[(there is an option that there is no Local minimum or Maximum point in this Function)

BUT i need to show the way.

thanks.

Attachments

• 1212.JPG
    1212.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
omni said:
BUT i need to show the way.
Right, so where's your attempt at doing so?

well i just know that there is no absolute minimum or Maximum in this Function.

In the picture you can see my way

(2cot2x is the same Function)

i know i need to find the Derivative:f'(x)=-4csc^2(2X)

but how i keep on from here to find the Local minimum or Maximum?

thanks

Attachments

• 333.JPG
    333.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 466
Sorry, you've jumped from local max/min to absolute max/min, before we continue, could you please clarify whether you're being asked to find any turning points in the function or are you being asked to show that the range of the function is all Reals?

edit: I have a strong hunch that it's the first. Ok so if you were given any function, such as a quadratic, what would be the process to show where the turning point occurs?

i asked to find the absolute max/min in the range (0;pi/2)

but about local max/min i asked to find any turning points in the function.

can you give me any direction how i find if there any local max/min?

Sorry, I slept.

Well what happens at a turning point? The gradient is zero there isn't it? So what would be the process to show that a function doesn't have a turning point?

hi well i Understand and i found there is no local max/min

but still thanks.

What is a local minimum and maximum?

A local minimum is the lowest point in a specific area of a graph, while a local maximum is the highest point in a specific area of a graph.

How do I identify the local minimum and maximum of a function?

To identify the local minimum and maximum of a function, you can use the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function and determining whether they are minimum or maximum points. The second derivative test involves finding the critical points and evaluating the second derivative at those points to determine the concavity of the function.

What is the importance of finding the local minimum and maximum of a function?

Finding the local minimum and maximum of a function is important in many applications, such as optimization problems in economics, engineering, and science. It can help identify the most efficient or effective solution to a problem.

What are the limitations of finding the local minimum and maximum of a function?

One of the limitations of finding the local minimum and maximum of a function is that it only considers a specific area of the graph and does not provide information about the overall behavior of the function. Additionally, in some cases, a function may not have a local minimum or maximum.

Are there any alternative methods for finding the local minimum and maximum of a function?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the local minimum and maximum of a function, such as the gradient descent method and the Newton's method. These methods involve using iterative calculations to approach the minimum or maximum point of a function.