How important is your grad school research to future positions?

In summary, the speaker is interested in studying quantum gravity and Brane cosmology, but is also open to other related topics such as differential geometry and general relativity. They are concerned about potentially limiting their options by attending a graduate school that focuses on gravitational wave astrophysics rather than cosmology or quantum gravity. The speaker acknowledges the rarity of positions in this field and recognizes the advantage of having prior knowledge and experience.
TomServo
For example, I want to work on quantum gravity and things like Brane cosmology (but not necessarily string theory). I'm really interested in sinking my teeth into differential geometry, general relativity, the shape of the universe, stuff like that. But if I were to go to a grad school that *didn't* study cosmology or quantum gravity but was involved in, say, gravitational wave astrophysics, does that lock me out of ever working on the kind of physics I want to do?

I have a list of seven grad schools I'm applying to. Some explicitly do not-necessarily-string cosmology/quantum gravity/membrane-type-research of the kind I want to do, a few just do gravitational wave stuff and maybe some "mathematical physics" which might or might not scratch my itch but they all do something related to GR. If I went to, say, Certain University, and did gravitational wave astrophysics, does that shut me out of the more cosmological stuff?

I'm fully aware of how rare positions are in that kind of physics anyway. :D Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you point out, positions are rare. People who already have a background will be at an advantage over those who do not.

1. How important is my grad school research to securing a job after graduation?

Graduate school research is highly important for securing a job after graduation. This research serves as evidence of your skills and expertise in a particular field, which is attractive to potential employers. It also demonstrates your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your field.

2. Will my grad school research be relevant to my future job?

It depends on the type of job you are seeking. If you are pursuing a career in academia or research, your grad school research will be highly relevant. However, even if you are pursuing a non-academic career, the skills and knowledge gained through your research can be transferable and valuable in a variety of industries.

3. How can I make my grad school research stand out to potential employers?

To make your grad school research stand out to potential employers, consider publishing your work in reputable journals, presenting at conferences, or creating a strong online presence through a professional website or social media. You can also highlight your research experience and skills on your resume and during job interviews.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong research background for all future positions?

No, a strong research background is not necessary for all future positions. While it is highly valued in certain industries and professions, there are many career paths that do not require extensive research experience. It is important to consider your career goals and the requirements of the positions you are interested in when deciding how much emphasis to place on research during grad school.

5. How can I continue to build upon my grad school research in my future career?

There are many ways to continue building upon your grad school research in your future career. You can collaborate with colleagues, attend conferences and workshops, and seek out opportunities for publication. You can also use your research skills and knowledge to inform your work and contribute to the advancement of your field in your professional role.