How is acceleration equivalent to rest in a gravitational field

In summary: In the Earth's gravitational field the path of light is bent when viewed from a stationary frame at a distance.In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of acceleration and rest in a gravitational field, without the presence of tidal effects. It is argued that in both scenarios, a local experiment conducted in an elevator would yield the same results. The concept of the equivalence principle is also mentioned, stating that in a spaceship accelerating at 1 g, there is no way to tell if you are actually accelerating or sitting on the surface of a planet. The question of whether acceleration or gravity bends light is also addressed.
Seminole Boy
Let me phrase the entire question: How is acceleration equivalent to rest in a gravitational field (without tidal effects)?

It's not that I am incapable understand the implications of this--it comes from a quote by DaleSpam and it seems to be rich--I just cannot break down the language he is using.

Feel free to weigh in, particularly the author of the quote.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say you are in a very small elevator (enough to fit you and your local experimental setup) so that tidal forces are negligible and say there are no windows or any other way for you to see outside. First imagine that you along with the elevator are at rest in a gravitational field ##g## and you are holding an apple. You drop the apple and see that it accelerates to the floor of the elevator with downward acceleration ##g##. Now imagine that you along with the elevator are in free space accelerating upward at a rate ##g## and you again drop the apple. You will again see it accelerate downwards to the floor of the elevator at a rate ##g##. There is no way you, inside the elevator so described, could perform local experiments to distinguish between the two situations - they are equivalent.

It's the equivalence principle. Basically it means that if you are accelerating in a spaceship there is no way to tell whether you are accelerating or just sitting on the surface of a planet.
Edit: Disregard this. I see WannabeNewton beat me to it.

Seminole Boy said:
How is acceleration equivalent to rest in a gravitational field (without tidal effects)?
Suppose you have two identical laboratories. They are each filled with the same wide variety of experimental equipment. One laboratory is in a uniform gravitational field (i.e. no tidal effects) of 1 g and is at rest wrt the gravitating body. The other is on a rocket far away from any gravitational sources, but is accelerating at 1 g wrt an inertial frame.

The way that acceleration is "equivalent" to gravity is that any experiment carried out in those two laboratories will have the same result. For example, in the accelerating lab we know that light going from the ceiling to the floor will be blueshifted and light going from the floor to the ceiling will be redshifted. Therefore, since the gravity lab is equivalent, we know that the same thing will happen there.

The reason for mentioning tidal effects is that if they are present then you can devise experiments which will not give identical results in the two labs.

WannabeNewton:

How--or why--are you using the word upward? How can there be upward or downward movement in boundless space?

Seminole Boy said:
WannabeNewton:

How--or why--are you using the word upward? How can there be upward or downward movement in boundless space?
If I am understanding your question correctly, that is exactly the point. If I am in the elevator subject to the above mentioned conditions and I drop my apple and I see it accelerate down to the floor of the elevator as described above, there is no way I can tell if I am in an elevator that is accelerating outwards at some uniform rate ##g## or if I am in an elevator that is at rest in a uniform gravitational field ##g##. Both situations would give me the same experimental result for the local experiment I conduct inside the elevator so there is no way I could tell.

Yes, you did understand my question correctly. You're good, Mr. (Wannabe) Newton, very good.

According to GR - acceleration do not bend the light, but gravity does. Just turn on your laser and measure deflection on the wall.

Seminole Boy said:
How is acceleration equivalent to rest in a gravitational field (without tidal effects)?
Because the effect is similar.
However it is obviously not the same.

Also a uniform gravitational field does not exist.

Brute Force said:
According to GR - acceleration do not bend the light, but gravity does. Just turn on your laser and measure deflection on the wall.
You'll get the same result in both the labs. See posts above.

Brute Force said:
Acceleration does bend the light.

DaleSpam said:
Acceleration does bend the light.
What do you mean by acceleration does bend the light?

Light in flat spacetime is never bent, it may look bent from the perspective of an accelerating observer but that is not the same as saying that light bends.

Passionflower said:
What do you mean by acceleration does bend the light?
In the accelerating frame the path of light is bent. It is a geodesic in spacetime, but not in space using the foliation defined by the accelerating frame.

What is acceleration in a gravitational field?

Acceleration in a gravitational field refers to the rate of change of velocity of an object falling towards the Earth due to the force of gravity.

How is acceleration equivalent to rest in a gravitational field?

In a gravitational field, an object experiences a constant acceleration due to the force of gravity. This acceleration is equivalent to the object being at rest because the object is not experiencing any change in velocity.

Can acceleration and rest coexist in a gravitational field?

No, acceleration and rest cannot coexist in a gravitational field. An object can either be accelerating towards the Earth or at rest, but not both at the same time.

What is the relationship between acceleration and gravity?

Acceleration and gravity are directly related. The greater the force of gravity on an object, the greater its acceleration towards the Earth will be.

How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object. On Earth's surface, the standard acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s².