1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is lateral displacement (reflection/refraction) derived?

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    my book is only introductory and they only gave me the equation S = t*sin( theta1 -theta2)/cos(theta2), i like to know how its derived so i can better understand and memorize this... i know i can probably work this out myself but i dunno where to start

i am assuming it has something to do with snells law and trig, but im bad at those

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    Lateral displacement of what, exactly? It might help if you tell us what the the variables stand for.

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    when light goes from a less dense media to a more dense media (air to glass), it is refracted. if its a glass slab, it will be refracted again as it exits the slab. S = lateral displacement of the incidence ray. t = the width of the slab, theta 1 is the angle of incidence while theta 2 is the angle of refraction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook