How is lateral displacement (reflection/refraction) derived?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation S = t*sin( theta1 -theta2)/cos(theta2) and the speaker's desire to understand its derivation. They mention that it may have something to do with Snell's law and trigonometry, but they struggle with those topics. They also clarify that the equation relates to lateral displacement of light as it passes through a glass slab.
zell_D
my book is only introductory and they only gave me the equation S = t*sin( theta1 -theta2)/cos(theta2), i like to know how its derived so i can better understand and memorize this... i know i can probably work this out myself but i don't know where to start

i am assuming it has something to do with snells law and trig, but I am bad at those

Physics news on Phys.org
Lateral displacement of what, exactly? It might help if you tell us what the the variables stand for.

when light goes from a less dense media to a more dense media (air to glass), it is refracted. if its a glass slab, it will be refracted again as it exits the slab. S = lateral displacement of the incidence ray. t = the width of the slab, theta 1 is the angle of incidence while theta 2 is the angle of refraction

1. What is lateral displacement?

Lateral displacement is the horizontal distance between the incident ray and the refracted or reflected ray after passing through a medium with a different refractive index. It is commonly observed when light passes through a transparent medium such as water or glass.

2. How is lateral displacement calculated?

Lateral displacement can be calculated using the formula D = d(sinθ - sinφ), where D is the lateral displacement, d is the thickness of the medium, θ is the angle of incidence, and φ is the angle of refraction. This formula is derived from Snell's law which relates the angles and refractive indices of incident and refracted rays.

3. What factors affect lateral displacement?

The main factors that affect lateral displacement are the thickness of the medium, the angle of incidence, and the refractive indices of the incident and refracted mediums. A larger thickness or angle of incidence will result in a larger lateral displacement, while a larger difference in refractive indices will result in a smaller lateral displacement.

4. How does lateral displacement differ between reflection and refraction?

In reflection, the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are equal, resulting in a symmetrical lateral displacement. In refraction, the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's law, resulting in an asymmetrical lateral displacement. Additionally, the refractive index of the medium in reflection remains the same, while it changes in refraction.

5. What is the significance of lateral displacement in practical applications?

Lateral displacement is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of light in various mediums, such as lenses and prisms. It is also important in technologies such as fiber optics, where the lateral displacement of light is used to transmit signals. Additionally, lateral displacement plays a role in the formation of optical illusions and can be used in the measurement of refractive indices of materials.