Homework Statement
How far from his destination
Relevant Equations
The trigonometric ratios of acute angles in a right angled triangle:
SOH CAH TOA
IMG_20230831_042607.jpg

The problem is actually a solved example
IMG_20230901_042351.jpg

My attention is focused in understanding the displacement vector diagram as it has to deal with question (iv).
I have no problem understanding the velocity vector sketch below:
velocity vector.png

As you can see ND is the velocity of the river current due East and NE is the velocity of the boat supposed the man chooses to go Northward.
Here comes another sketch for the velocity
displacement vector original.png

I am confused about the sketch because
a. I don't understand what the vertical arrow beside NA meant.
b. the 3km, is what? Is the displacement of the river or what? If it is, how was obtained because I know from the wording of the problem nothing like that was given. what was given 3 kmhr-1, which the displacement of the river. From the solving as it in the book I thinking that the 5km
IMG_20230901_043519.jpg

As I showed here
displacement vector (1).png

Please help my understanding. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_042351.jpg
    IMG_20230901_042351.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 34
    IMG_20230901_042351.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230901_043519.jpg
    IMG_20230901_043519.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 39
    IMG_20230901_042351.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
Physics news on Phys.org
Chijioke said:
b. the 3km, is what? Is the displacement of the river or what? If it is, how was obtained because I know from the wording of the problem nothing like that was given. what was given 3 kmhr-1, which the displacement of the river. From the solving as it in the book I thinking that the 5km
You are understandably confused because the diagram provided in the solution is mislabeled. The vertical arrow beside NA must represent the vertical component of the displacement which is given as 5 km. The label 3 km is either a typo or the drawing is pasted from a different problem. Your drawing of the displacement vector is correct.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and Chijioke
kuruman said:
You are understandably confused because the diagram provided in the solution is mislabeled. The vertical arrow beside NA must represent the vertical component of the displacement which is given as 5 km. The label 3 km is either a typo or the drawing is pasted from a different problem. Your drawing of the displacement vector is correct.
I may still have question concerning this but let go and think. Thank you.

Chijioke said:
The river can't be made narrower: the man still has 5 km separating him from the opposite shore.
It must be a typo.

Likes Chijioke

1. What is a displacement vector diagram?

A displacement vector diagram is a visual representation of the displacement of an object. It shows the direction and magnitude of the displacement from the initial position to the final position of the object.

2. How is displacement represented in a displacement vector diagram?

Displacement is represented by an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position of the object. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the displacement, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the displacement.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance in a displacement vector diagram?

Displacement is a vector quantity that represents the shortest distance between the initial and final position of an object. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the total length of the path traveled by the object.

4. How is displacement calculated in a displacement vector diagram?

Displacement can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the displacement is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the horizontal and vertical components of the displacement vector.

5. What are some common applications of displacement vector diagrams?

Displacement vector diagrams are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. They are also used in navigation and mapping to determine the direction and distance between two points.