How is stress related to force and area in a solid body under equilibrium?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
v_pino
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Why is it the integral of delta P that must equal P1 and P2 in the second diagram (half of the original body)? I thought it is simply that Delta P = (P4 + P3).
 
Attachments
  • equilibrium.JPG
    equilibrium.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really get what your asking? I think the diagram is basically just stating that internal stresses in a solid 3D body must sum to zero, if they do not then the body is exploding.
 
It says that if you bisect the body, that is already in equilibrium, the resultant surface integral has to equal P1+P2, which were removed, for the body to stay in equilibrium. It would also be correct to say what you are saying, but I think the main idea was that the surface integral has to be equal to what was removed.
 
So stress=force/area. Does it mean that if I find the stress over the area (Delta A) and integrate it with respect to Delta A, then I get the new force which is equal to the sum of P1 and P2?