1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Antisimmetric relations question

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A set ##P=\left\{ \ p1,p2,p3,p4 \right\}## is given. Determine the number of antisimmetric relations of this set so that ##p1## is in relation with ##p3##, ##p2## is in relation with ##p4## but ##p2## is not in relation with ##p1##.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

By drawing the table of relations i concluded that the total number of antisimmetrical relations without any constriction further implied in the problem is ##2^n3^{\frac{n^2-n}{2}}## with the first factor drawn from the diagonal possibilities and the second factpr being 3 possibilities on the upper part above the diagonal. I do not however know how to include these steps. Can you help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2
    This is the picture as I understand it.
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{ccc}x&x&1&x\\0&x&x&1\\x&x&x&x\\x&x&x&x\end{array}
    [/tex]
    You correctly deduce that there are a total of ##2^n\cdot 3^{\binom{n}{2}}## anti-symmetrical relations on a set of ##n ## elements. There's nothing special to this, you have fixed 2 components in the upper triangle bit. Keep in mind what an anti-symmetrical relation matrix has to look like and use the product rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted