How is the 130479.79 Value Calculated in this Retirement Calculator?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter brian110872
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
brian110872
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
On this chart:
http://www.banksite.com/calc/retire?with=30000&lngt=5&lngt=5&pay2=0.0&intr=7.5&outt=HTML+Tables
how did they calculate 130479.79? I know how they got the "Interest" and "End Bal" just not the 130479.79. Anyone have any suggestions?
Here is the original form:
http://www.banksite.com/calc/retire

Thank You,
Brian
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this example, the objective is to be able to withdraw $30,000 per year from savings. It assumes 7.5% interest (it's obviously very old!). The "end balance" is, of course,0 by definition.

Suppose you had X dollars in the bank, drawing 7.5% simple interest.
After 1 year, before you withdraw anything, you would have the original X plus interest, (0.075)(30000) or a total of (1+ 0.075)X= 1.075X. Now, you withdraw 30000. You have 1.075X- 30000 left.

For the second year, repeat that with initial amount 1.075X-30000. Before withdrawing anything, but including interest, you would have
1.075(1.075X- 30000)= (1.075)2X- (1.075)(30000). After withdrawing your 30000 you will have (1.075)2X- (1.075)(30000)- 30000 left.

For the third year, you are starting with that amount so, before withdrawal you would have 1.075((1.075)2X- 1.075(30000)- 30000)= 1.0753X- 1.0752300000- 1.075(30000). Now withdraw 30000 from that: 1.0753X- 1.0752300000- (1.075)30000- 30000= 1.0753X- 30000(1+ 1.075+ 1.0752.

Do you see the pattern? After n years you will have 1.075nX- (30000)(1+ 1.075+ ...+ 1.075n-1. In particular, after 5 years you would have 1.0755X- (30000)(1+ 1.075+ 1.0752+ 1.0753+ 1.0754. Since in this example you are apparently only expecting to die 5 years after retirement, after 5 years, the "final balance" is to be 0. It's not that hard to calculate that 1+ 1.075+ 1.0752+ 1.0753+ 1.0754= 5.808 approximately. Solve the equation 1.0755X= 30000(5.808). I get slightly less than 130480. Try deducting the 30000 before adding the interest. That would be the same as replacing X by X-30000.
 
Thanks for the reply HallsofIvy. For 1.075^5(X)= 30000(5.808), I'm getting X=121368. How am I miscalculating?
 
brian110872 said:
Thanks for the reply HallsofIvy. For 1.075^5(X)= 30000(5.808), I'm getting X=121368. How am I miscalculating?
You're not, you've solved for x almost perfectly, actually your missing a few decimal places there, can I assume you are using mathematica?
 
Zurtex said:
You're not, you've solved for x almost perfectly, actually your missing a few decimal places there, can I assume you are using mathematica?
What is mathematica?
 
HallsofIvy,
I'm not sure how you got 130480 from 1.0755X= 30000(5.808).

Thank You,
Brian