Calculating Probability of Rain This Weekend

Assuming they are independent, then yes this is the correct way to calculate the chance of rain this weekend. However, as mentioned before, the actual probability of rain is dependent on the defined probability space and the accuracy of the forecast.
Hawksteinman
I was reading a book about innumeracy and one of the chapters was on probability. This weather woman said 'there is a 50% chance of rain on Saturday, and a 50% chance of rain on Sunday, so the chance of rain this weekend is 100%'

Obviously she was wrong, but it got me thinking how would one calculate the probability of rain that weekend?

I decided to make it simpler by saying P(rain on Saturday) = 0.5 and P(rain on Sunday) = 1.0

This obviously means that P(rain this weekend) = 1.0

I then used trial and error to calculate the chance of rain that weekend

I started with P(rain on Saturday) x P(rain on Sunday) but that gives 0.5

Then I tried P(no rain this weekend) = P(no rain on Saturday) x P(no rain on Sunday) and this gives 0.0

Therefore P(rain this weekend) = 1 - P(no rain this weekend) = 1.0

Using this method, P(rain this weekend) = 0.75 or 75% for the original statement.

Is this the best way to calculate the chance of rain?

Physics news on Phys.org
For events "A" ,"B"

probability of "A or B" = probability of "A" + probability of "B" - probability of "A and B"

For independent events , probability of "A and B" = (probability of "A")(probability of "B").

However, if it rains on Saturday, that may make it statistically more likely that it will also rain on Sunday, so those two events may not be independent.

In general, probability of "A and B" = ( probability of "B given A")(probability of "A").

Rain forecasts do state probabilities for rain, but "the probability of rain" is an ill-defined concept until we define the "probability space" we are using.

Likes Hawksteinman
Stephen Tashi said:
For events "A" ,"B"

probability of "A or B" = probability of "A" + probability of "B" - probability of "A and B"

For independent events , probability of "A and B" = (probability of "A")(probability of "B").

However, if it rains on Saturday, that may make it statistically more likely that it will also rain on Sunday, so those two events may not be independent.

In general, probability of "A and B" = ( probability of "B given A")(probability of "A").

Rain forecasts do state probabilities for rain, but "the probability of rain" is an ill-defined concept until we define the "probability space" we are using.

Assuming that they are independent, am I right to do what I did? :)

How did you get 0.75? Averaging the two answers you got, one right, one wrong? That's not a good method!

mjc123 said:
How did you get 0.75? Averaging the two answers you got, one right, one wrong? That's not a good method!

P(no rain on Saturday) x P(no rain on Sunday) = P(no rain this weekend) = 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25

P(rain this weekend) = 1 - P(no rain this weekend) = 1 - 0.25 = 0.75

Likes scottdave
From what I have read and witnessed the TV weather forecaster state, this is how they define percentages. A rain percentage of 20% means that they expect that 20% of the viewing area will have rain. So if you are watching it, then you have a 20% chance of living in the area that will get rain. Sometimes they show predictive maps, which give you a better idea if your area falls in the 20% though.

But if the only information you have is 50% chance of rain on Saturday, then I would go with that - a straight probability of 1/2.

Use either method that @Stephen Tashi gave and you should come up with the same percentage for "the weekend".
(rain Saturday) Or (rain Sunday)
or you could do this: 1 - ((not rain Saturday) AND (not rain Sunday))

Likes Hawksteinman
Kyx Revision said:
P(no rain on Saturday) x P(no rain on Sunday) = P(no rain this weekend) = 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25

P(rain this weekend) = 1 - P(no rain this weekend) = 1 - 0.25 = 0.75
This is a correct calculation for independent events.

As @Stephen Tashi mentioned the key question for actually applying this would be if the percentages are independent or not. If there were definitely a very brief storm coming, but only the time of arrival was uncertain then it could be as high as 100% (perfectly anti correlated). If there was a possible storm coming but it would last both days if it came then it could be as low as 50% (perfectly correlated).

Likes Hawksteinman

What factors are involved in calculating the probability of rain this weekend?

The probability of rain is affected by various factors such as atmospheric conditions, air pressure, humidity, temperature, wind patterns, and geographical location. These factors are important to consider when predicting the likelihood of rain.

How accurate are weather forecasts in predicting the probability of rain?

The accuracy of weather forecasts in predicting the probability of rain can vary depending on the forecast model used and the current weather conditions. Generally, short-term forecasts (1-3 days) tend to be more accurate than long-term forecasts (5-7 days).

Can the probability of rain change throughout the weekend?

Yes, the probability of rain can change throughout the weekend as weather conditions can be unpredictable. A forecasted probability of rain is not a guarantee that it will rain, but rather an estimation of the likelihood based on current conditions and data.

How is the probability of rain calculated?

The probability of rain is calculated using various meteorological data, such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure, along with weather models and historical data. These factors are plugged into a mathematical equation to determine the likelihood of rain occurring.

What other factors can affect the accuracy of predicting the probability of rain?

Other factors that can affect the accuracy of predicting the probability of rain include the topography of the area, the time of year, and the type of weather system (e.g. tropical vs. mid-latitude). It is also important to consider the margin of error in weather forecasts and the limitations of current technology in predicting weather patterns.