How Is the Angular Diameter of Jupiter Measured and What Equipment Is Used?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter aldool
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angular Diameter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
aldool
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I read a post here on PF about angular diameter, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91704
I *THINK* I understand the math, my question is the actual measurement of Jupiter. Is it done at zero magnification (how?!) or 100x or ??x
And with what piece of equipment?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Actual measurements can be done with telescopes, but the magnification does not matter, you just have to take it into account in the calculation.
Space probes there can measure the diameter (and shape) more accurately.
 
What I believe that mfb is trying to say is that angular diameter, unless otherwise stated, is taken to be the angle formed between two lines whose meeting point is at the observer and whose ends fall on opposite sides of the object being measured.