How Is the Capacitance of an Axon Modeled as a Capacitor Calculated?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
themrk
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An axon is the relatively long tail-like part of a neuron, or nerve cell. The outer surface of the axon membrane (dielectric constant = 5, thickness = 1 10-8 m) is charged positively, and the inner portion is charged negatively. Thus, the membrane is a kind of capacitor. Assuming that an axon can be treated like a parallel plate capacitor with a plate area of 4.20 10-6 m2, what is its capacitance?


Homework Equations


C = k * Eo * A / d



The Attempt at a Solution


I used C = 5 * 8.85*10^-12 * 4.20*10^-6 / 1*10^-8 = 1.9E-8 F

However this is not the correct answer and I am perplexed as to why. Is Eo not 8.85*10^-12 or is d not just the thickness?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So is this a parallel plate capacitor with with a dielectric in between? If so then you should be able to just use

[tex]C = \epsilon_r C_{vac}[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon_r[/itex] is the dielectric constant. I think you may have used the wrong electric permitivity.
 
I think the permittivity is correct, 8.85e-12 is the vacuum permittivity, and it was multipled by 5, the dielectric constant.

If you are doing this as a web-based problem, it's probably a matter of significant digits. Use more.