Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How is the CSCO in an harmonic oscillator?

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone, I have a great doubt in this problem:
    Let a mass m with spin 1/2, subject to the following central potencial V(r):
    V(r)=1/2mω2r2
    Find the constants of motion and the CSCO to solve the Hamiltonian?

This is my doubt, I can't find the CSCO in this potencial. Is a problem in general quantum physics, not use the Dirac's notation brakets and ket.

Thanks a lot!
    Dar

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What the heck is CSCO? Define your acronyms!

4. Jul 4, 2017 #3
    Yes I am sorry, CSCO= Complete Set of Conmuting Observables. This I need for resolve the hamiltonian.

5. Jul 4, 2017 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's the same set as with a hydrogen atom, as this is rotation symmetric. Isn't that term just a "centrifugal" force that actually belongs to the kinetic energy but can also be thought of as an effective noninertial part of the potential field?

6. Jul 4, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

For the symmetric 3D harmonic oscillator you have of course several possibilities. On one hand you can use Cartesian coordinates and use the three phonon-number operators ##\hat{N}_j=\hat{a}_j^{\dagger} \hat{a}_j## as the complete set. The relation to the Hamiltonian is
    $$\hat{H}=\hbar \omega \left (\sum_{j=1}^3 \hat{N}_j+\frac{3}{2} \right ).$$
    On the other hand, as any central potential you can as well use ##\hat{H}##, ##\hat{\vec{L}}^2##, and ##\hat{L}_z## as the complete set. The corresponding quantum numbers are then as for any central potential ##E##, ##\ell## and ##m##.

7. Jul 6, 2017 #6
    Ok thanks a lot!

Then in addition, the ##\hat{L}_z## and ##\hat{L}^2## they are motion constants because the hamiltonian is invariant to rotations and translations, and the energy ##E## only depends of the quantum number ##n##just because the hamiltonian conmute with the operator rotator ##\hat{R}## and translator ##\hat{T}##. It is true no?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
  8. Aug 1, 2017 #7
    Hi, a question about the spin, this add a new constant of movement, ie., in addition to ##L^2##, ##L_z## and ##H##, ##S_z## also is a constant of movement? My doubt is because this problem have in reality four constant of movement if we take into account that spin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted