The allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
kkabi_seo
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi!

I'm trying to calculate the allowed energies of each state for 3D harmonic oscillator.
En = (Nx+1/2)hwx + (Ny+1/2)hwy+ (Nz+1/2)hwz, Nx,Ny,Nz = 0,1,2,...

Unfortunately I didn't find this topic in my textbook.
Can somebody help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You simply need to consider the different possibilities for Nx, Ny, and Nz and calculate the corresponding energies.
 
DrClaude said:
You simply need to consider the different possibilities for Nx, Ny, and Nz and calculate the corresponding energies.
frankly, It is hard for me to understand.. Please explain more detaily.
 
Hello kkabi_seo, :welcome:

I found a https://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter2/ch2_4.htm in another thread

$$E_{(n_x, n_y, n_z)} = (n_x+1/2)\hbar\omega_x + (n_y+1/2)\hbar\omega_y+ (n_z+1/2)\hbar\omega_z ,\ \ \ \text {nx,ny,nz = 0,1,2,...}$$So you fill in ##\ (n_x, n_y, n_z) = (1,0,0)\ ## to get ##\ \ E_{(1,0,0)} \ \ ## etc