How Is the Mass of the Spherical Weight Calculated for Buoyancy Equilibrium?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
ACE_99
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose a buoy is made of a sealed steel tube of mass 5 kg with a diameter D = 7 cm and a length of 6 meters. At the end of the buoy is a spherical weight of galvanized steel (specific gravity=7.85). If the buoy floats in fresh water, what must be the mass of the steel M at the bottom to make the distance h=195 cm?

Homework Equations



FB = W
F = [tex]\rho[/tex]gV

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that in order for this object to float the buoyant force must equal the mass of the submerged object. So

FB = Wcyl + Wsph = Wwater which is also

Vcyl[tex]\rho[/tex]sg +Vsph[tex]\rho[/tex]sg = Vwater[tex]\rho[/tex]g

This is where I get confused. In order to find the mass of the sphere I need to find its volume since I have the density, but how do I determine the volume of water displaced if I don't know the volume of the sphere. Hopefully my reasoning is correct. Any help would be great! I've also attached a copy of the picture provided.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ACE_99_photo/ps-222-1-q6-1.jpg"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass of tube is given.
Mass of the sphere = ρs*V.
weight of the displaced liquid = (Volume of the immersed tube + Volume of the sphere)*ρw
Volume of the immersed tube = π*D^2/4*(L-h)
From these information find the volume of the sphere and then mass of the sphere.
 
Based on what rl.bhat stated I managed to figure out the following.

mtube + [tex]\rho[/tex]sVsph = [Vcyl sub + Vsph][tex]\rho[/tex]w

isolate for Vsph to get

Vsph = Vcyl[tex]\rho[/tex]w - 5 kg / [tex]\rho[/tex]w + [tex]\rho[/tex]w

Solving for Vsphere I get V = 0.011962 therefore making the mass 9.39 kg.
 
The equation should be
Vs = (Vc*ρw - 5 kg)/(ρw + ρs).
Μay be typo.
 
Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
The equation should be
Vs = (Vc*ρw - 5 kg)/(ρw + ρs).
Μay typo.

Ya that was just a typo. Thanks for your help