How is the moment at A using the Force 1200N calculated?

In summary: I notice something suspicious about the figure in your first post. Did you make it or was...I made it.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Find the moment of this Force about point A.
Relevant Equations
##M_{A} = - (1200.Sin 30^{0} X 140) + (1200.Cos 30^{0} X 140)##
A force of 1200N acts on a bracket as shown in the below figure. Find the moment of this Force about point A.

Taking moments of components of 1200N force about point A.

∴ ##M_{A} = - (1200.Sin 30^{0} * 140) + (1200.Cos 30^{0} * 140)##

##M_{A} = 40.71 X 10^{3} Nm##

I am confused, because Force 1200 is far away from A and also not touching each other. How is moment at A using Force 1200 is calculated? I am also confused with negative signs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation is flawed: For some reason, you used the same moment arm (140 mm) for each component.
Benjamin_harsh said:
I am confused, because Force 1200 is far away from A and also not touching each other.
So?
Benjamin_harsh said:
How is moment at A using Force 1200 is calculated?
You can break the force into components and find the moment of each, but be sure to use the proper moment arm (which is the perpendicular distance to point A).
Benjamin_harsh said:
I am also confused with negative signs.
Generally, counterclockwise torques are positive; clockwise, negative.

Doc Al said:
proper moment arm (which is the perpendicular distance to point A)
show me the proper moment arm in this diagram.

Here's a hint: The moment arm for the vertical component will be the horizontal distance; the opposite for the horizontal component.

##M_{A} = - (1200.Sin 30^{0} * 140) + (1200.Cos 30^{0} * 1200)##

I got it, what about negative sign? How should I know which sign should be used?

Benjamin_harsh said:
what about negative sign? How should I know which sign should be used?

Doc Al said:
Generally, counterclockwise torques are positive; clockwise, negative.

Bracket is fixed here, Force 1200N is so far from point A. I can't able to guess the torque directions here. Please help me.

Benjamin_harsh said:
Bracket is fixed here, Force 1200N is so far from point A. I can't able to guess the torque directions here. Please help me.
The torque directions for each component should be easy to determine.

See I constructed X and Y components of force 1200N. Now tell me the torque directions.

Benjamin_harsh said:
See I constructed X and Y components of force 1200N. Now tell me the torque directions.
You tell me! The vertical component (if it were all that was acting) tends to make things turn in which direction?

vertical component (if it were all that was acting) tends to make things turn depends on axis of rotation.

Benjamin_harsh said:
vertical component (if it were all that was acting) tends to make things turn depends on axis of rotation.
You are finding moments about point A. That's where your axis is.

Doc Al said:
You are finding moments about point A. That's where your axis is.

So torque direction ##1200.sin{30^0}## is counter clockwise direction, It has +ve sign, but in solution it has negative sign, this is the exact point which I am struggling.

Benjamin_harsh said:
So torque direction ##1200.sin{30^0}## is counter clockwise direction, It has +ve sign, but in solution it has negative sign, this is the exact point which I am struggling.
The standard sign convention is counterclockwise is positive. But perhaps your book uses a different convention. (What book are you using?)

Doc Al said:
The standard sign convention is counterclockwise is positive. But perhaps your book uses a different convention. (What book are you using?)

Are you hinting my torque direction ##1200.sin{30^0}## is correct ?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Are you hinting my torque direction ##1200.sin{30^0}## is correct ?
That's the correct vertical component and you've drawn the correct torque direction (counterclockwise). The corresponding torque should be +.

Doc Al said:
That's the correct vertical component and you've drawn the correct torque direction (counterclockwise). The corresponding torque should be +.
Then overall moment at A will be negative, but my doubt is can a overall moment can be negative?

Benjamin_harsh said:
Then overall moment at A will be negative, but my doubt is can a overall moment can be negative?
Why not? (The sign just tells you what direction the torque acts.)

Doc Al said:
The sign just tells you what direction the torque acts.
So I got Moment at A is ##40.71 X 10^{3} Nm## in negative direction, so how does the final position of bracket looks like? Please sketch it.

Benjamin_harsh said:
So I got Moment at A is ##40.71 X 10^{3} Nm## in negative direction, so how does the final position of bracket looks like? Please sketch it.
Show how you got that answer. (Not sure what you mean by "sketch it".)

how does the final position of bracket looks like?
You are asked to find moment of this Force about point A. Don't assume the bracket is going to rotate to a new position. This would be an analysis of the twisting torque on the bracket (perhaps to see how strong the bracket needs to be considering what will be applied to it in use).

Doc Al said in post #4
Here's a hint: The moment arm for the vertical component will be the horizontal distance; the opposite for the horizontal component.
I notice something suspicious about the figure in your first post. Did you make it or was it part of the problem you were given? The reason is it seems to be seriously not to scale. The vertical position of the point that the force is applied at is shown to be 1200 mm. Could it be that should have been 120 mm? Whichever it is, that dimension should be in your Relevant Equation.

sojsail said:
I notice something suspicious about the figure in your first post. Did you make it or was it part of the problem you were given? The reason is it seems to be seriously not to scale.
Agreed.

Benjamin.. There is a procedure you should use for solving this type of problem.

1) You should start by making a declaration.. "I declare clockwise to be positive" or I declare anticlockwise to be positive. The decision is yours, unless it is stated (or implied) in the problem.

2) Then identify all the torques and their direction and give them the appropriate sign when you write your equation.

3) When you solve the equation the answer will be positive or negative (or zero). Now look back at your declaration to determine what that means (clockwise or anti clockwise).

If you make a different choice of declaration to that in the book _all_ the signs in the working will be opposite. However the direction of the answer (clockwise or anti clockwise) will still be the same. It "all comes out in the wash".

The procedure works no matter what you are trying to solve for. Eg it works if you are trying to find the net torque or if you are given the net and are trying to find an unknown torque.

Ideally your textbook should be consistent throughout and somewhere there should be a statement that says... "Unless stated otherwise, this book declares that (counter) clockwise torques are positive". Unfortunately it is possible your book is not consistent.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment at point A using the Force 1200N?

The formula for calculating the moment at point A using the Force 1200N is M=AxF, where M is the moment, A is the perpendicular distance from the force to the point, and F is the magnitude of the force in newtons.

2. How do you determine the perpendicular distance from the force to the point A?

The perpendicular distance can be determined by drawing a line from point A to the line of action of the force. The distance between the two points is the perpendicular distance.

3. Can the moment at point A be calculated if the force is not acting perpendicular to the point?

Yes, the moment can still be calculated if the force is not acting perpendicular to the point. In this case, you would need to use the component of the force that is acting perpendicular to the point in the calculation.

4. Is the unit for moment the same as the unit for force?

No, the unit for moment is newton-meters (Nm) while the unit for force is newtons (N). This is because moment takes into account both the magnitude of the force and the distance from the point of interest, while force only measures the magnitude of the force.

5. Can the moment at point A be negative?

Yes, the moment at point A can be negative. This means that the force is creating a clockwise rotation at point A. A positive moment indicates a counterclockwise rotation, while a negative moment indicates a clockwise rotation.