How is the weak force related to a change in velocity?

In summary, according to the four fundamental forces, gravity is the force that results in objects staying in place, the Lorentz force is the force that results in objects moving relatively to one another, the weak force is the force that governs radioactive decay, and the strong force is the force that changes the motion of particles in the nucleus of an atom.
SamRoss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Seeking intuitive understanding of how the weak force "pushes" particles.
Hi everyone,

The four fundamental forces are gravity (I understand that G.R. does not look upon gravity as a force but I'm not worried about that here), the Lorentz force, the weak force, and the strong force. I'm familiar with the inverse square law for gravitation and the Lorentz force F=q(E+vxB). I also have the dimmest understanding of how the strong force is related to a change in motion (protons in the nucleus of an atom would want to move away from each other due to the Lorentz force so there must be another force, called the strong force, which changes this desired motion and pushes them back toward each other; that's as far as my understanding goes). However, whenever I search for some explanation of the weak force, I only see how it is related to radioactive decay and I don't see clearly how this can be categorized as a "change in motion" which is what a force is supposed to do. Any help here would be appreciated. Also, similar to how we now think of a=GM/r^2 as an approximation of the motion predicted by G.R., are there analogous approximations of both the strong and weak forces that do not require a high level of understanding of Q.E.D and Q.C.D?

Physics news on Phys.org
SamRoss said:
Summary:: Seeking intuitive understanding of how the weak force "pushes" particles.

Hi everyone,

decay and I don't see clearly how this can be categorized as a "change in motion" which is what a force is supposed to do. Any help here would be appreciated.

You have two options:

1) Call it the weak interaction;

2) Extent your notion of force to encompass the weak interaction.

Vanadium 50 said:
PeroK said:
You have two options:

1) Call it the weak interaction;

2) Extent your notion of force to encompass the weak interaction.

Okay, so we're extending our idea of what we call a "force" to include not only something that results in acceleration but also something that results in particles decaying into other particles. The reason for this extension is that both acceleration and decay are the result of carrier particles (W and Z bosons for decay, photons for electromagnetism, gluons for the strong force, and gravitons for gravity). Is that right?

SamRoss said:
Okay, so we're extending our idea of what we call a "force" to include not only something that results in acceleration but also something that results in particles decaying into other particles.
Newton's second law, ##F = ma##, is a classical concept. There's no concept of this in QM, as such. Instead, it emerges from the interaction of many quantum particles. Instead, QM tends to predict scattering cross-sections.

Coulomb's law breaks down, for example, at high energies for quantum particles.

Likes SamRoss

1. What is the weak force?

The weak force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong force. It is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in the structure of atoms and the evolution of the universe.

2. How is the weak force related to a change in velocity?

The weak force is not directly related to a change in velocity. However, it does play a role in the decay of particles, which can result in changes in velocity. For example, during beta decay, a neutron decays into a proton, electron, and antineutrino, resulting in a change in velocity for the electron and antineutrino.

3. What is the role of the weak force in particle interactions?

The weak force is responsible for mediating interactions between subatomic particles, such as quarks and leptons. It is the only force that can change the flavor of quarks, which is why it is involved in processes like beta decay and neutrino interactions.

4. How does the strength of the weak force compare to other fundamental forces?

The weak force is the second weakest of the four fundamental forces, with a strength about 10^25 times weaker than the strong force and about 10^13 times weaker than electromagnetism. However, it is still much stronger than gravity, which is the weakest force.

5. Can the weak force be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the weak force can be manipulated and controlled through particle accelerators and nuclear reactors. Scientists can study the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with the weak force by accelerating them to high energies and observing their decay products.