Why can only the weak interaction change quark flavour?

In summary: You need to understand the difference between a particle and its antiparticle for this to make sense.
AlanKirby
Hi there, so my question is as follows.

I understand that only the weak interaction can change the flavour of a quark, but why?

Idea 1: It's due to the change in flavour also meaning a change in mass, thus a massive exchange particle is needed (gravity is negligible so forget the massive graviton). But then since the exchange particles are themselves virtual, could a photon for example, not simply be 'off mass shell' and produce the same result?

Idea 2: It's to do with a change in electric charge (assuming we always deal with U,C,T to S,B,D quarks flavours or vice versa, which i don't know if that is true), thus an electrically charged exchange particle is needed, i.e. W boson (and hence Z boson doesn't cause a change in quark flavour since it's electrically neutral)?

Idea 3: The different quark flavours have a different value of weak charge (which is a different quantum number), thus to change this from one value to another requires an exchange particle with weak charge, thus the W bosons are the only gauge bosons that can cause this flavour change (and again, thus the Z boson cannot since it has no weak charge)?

I'm sure that someone is about to confuse me with some gauge field theory stuff, but I would appreciate an answer, despite how confusing it may seem to an undergrad such as myself.

Thank you kindly for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weak interactions are the only interactions whichd deal with the SU(2) doublets containing quarks with different charges. All other interactions are blind to this difference. In essence, it is akin to asking why only strong interactions can change the colour of a quark with the addition that electroweak symmetry breaking makes the W charged under the residual U(1) symmetry, i.e., electromagnetism.

Likes AlanKirby
Orodruin said:
Weak interactions are the only interactions whichd deal with the SU(2) doublets containing quarks with different charges. All other interactions are blind to this difference. In essence, it is akin to asking why only strong interactions can change the colour of a quark with the addition that electroweak symmetry breaking makes the W charged under the residual U(1) symmetry, i.e., electromagnetism.
Thank you for your response. Can I please ask for a recommended text for this material, preferably an introductory text and then separately a more advanced text.

Thanks again.

AlanKirby said:
Idea 1: It's due to the change in flavour also meaning a change in mass, thus a massive exchange particle is needed (gravity is negligible so forget the massive graviton). But then since the exchange particles are themselves virtual, could a photon for example, not simply be 'off mass shell' and produce the same result?
This has nothing to do with masses.
A hypothetical graviton would be massless.
AlanKirby said:
Idea 2: It's to do with a change in electric charge (assuming we always deal with U,C,T to S,B,D quarks flavours or vice versa, which i don't know if that is true), thus an electrically charged exchange particle is needed, i.e. W boson (and hence Z boson doesn't cause a change in quark flavour since it's electrically neutral)?
The W boson is the only boson with electric charge, but you could have changes like charm->up or muon->tau with uncharged bosons. It is easy to allow a boson to mediate those interactions, but we never observed those interactions.

Likes AlanKirby
mfb said:
This has nothing to do with masses.
A hypothetical graviton would be massless.
The W boson is the only boson with electric charge, but you could have changes like charm->up or muon->tau with uncharged bosons. It is easy to allow a boson to mediate those interactions, but we never observed those interactions.
Thanks for your response. So are you suggesting that 'idea 2' is the correct way to be thinking about it on a simple level?

Well, charge conservation tells you "up -> down + photon" is impossible. It does not tell you "charm -> up + photon" is impossible.

Likes AlanKirby

1. Why is the weak interaction the only force that can change quark flavour?

The weak interaction is the only force that can change quark flavour because it is the only force that allows for the creation and annihilation of quarks. Quark flavour is determined by the type of quark (up, down, strange, charm, top, bottom) and the weak interaction is the only force that can convert one type of quark into another.

2. What is meant by "quark flavour"?

Quark flavour refers to the different types of quarks that exist in the Standard Model of particle physics. These include up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom quarks. Each quark has a different mass, charge, and other properties that determine its flavour.

3. How does the weak interaction change quark flavour?

The weak interaction changes quark flavour through a process called quark mixing, also known as CKM mixing. This process involves the exchange of W and Z bosons between quarks, which causes the quarks to change flavour. The probability of a quark changing flavour is determined by the Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa (CKM) matrix, which describes the strength of the weak interaction between different types of quarks.

4. Why can't other forces, like the strong or electromagnetic force, change quark flavour?

The strong and electromagnetic forces cannot change quark flavour because they do not allow for the creation or annihilation of quarks. The strong force, which binds quarks together to form protons and neutrons, only affects quarks of the same flavour. The electromagnetic force, which is responsible for interactions between charged particles, does not have the ability to change the type of quark.

5. Are there any other factors that contribute to quark flavour change besides the weak interaction?

In addition to the weak interaction, there are other factors that can contribute to quark flavour change. For example, in certain high-energy collisions, virtual particles can also play a role in quark flavour change. Additionally, the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass, can also influence the probability of quark flavour change through its interactions with quarks and other particles.