How is Tufts for undergraduate mathematics?

In summary, Tufts University offers a quality undergraduate education that is well suited for someone who wants to pursue a graduate or professional degree in mathematics.
Settia
How is the quality of Tufts University for studying mathematics as an undergraduate? What should I expect? What should I not expect?

Physics news on Phys.org
The quality of the undergraduate education should be defined by what *you* want. Do you want a BS in math to go to graduate school in math/applied math, professional school (say, med or law school) or would you prefer to try your luck with a job right out of college? Or have you not decided yet?

If it's either of the first three options, try finding out where recent math grads at Tufts have ended up at. If you see that a reasonable number of them have done well by your standards, then that's a good sign. If you haven't decided yet, then it would be advantageous if the school looks like they can provide you with a greater range of options.

You should also take into account that no matter which college you end up at, the resources available at that college probably won't be of greater importance than what you accomplish while you're there. ("how did you make use of the resources available to you?")

The math program's quality will also depend on whether they can accommodate for you - i.e, based on your math background and your own abilities. For e.g, if your math background is weak in some areas, do they they offer such courses or remedial help? Likewise, if you've done Calc I-III and linear algebra already, do they offer math placement tests?

When choosing a college, you should also be at some place you think you'll be happy at.

At least, that's just my opinion, which you're free to consider or dismiss.

I like what I can see on the web of the program at Tufts. Several of my friends and acquaintances are there, including Mauricio Gutierrez, Loring Tu, Montserrat Teixidor i Bigas, and I know of others such as Richard Weiss and Z. Nirecki.

Nitecki has written some excellent introductory books on differential equations, and professors do teach even the lower level calculus courses there.

They have a varied list of undergrad courses and they use books that are regularly recommended here.

They also make good descriptions of the courses available online. It looks like a good place to me.

Plus it is on the "redline" train into Boston, but not right in Boston. It has a lot going for it. My son went there too and seemed to like it pretty well.

http://math.tufts.edu/documents/courseDescFall2012.pdf

Likes MyWrathAcademia

1. What is the overall reputation of Tufts for undergraduate mathematics?

Tufts has a strong reputation for its undergraduate mathematics program. It is ranked as one of the top 50 math programs in the country by US News and World Report, and is also highly regarded by employers and graduate schools.

2. How are the faculty in the math department at Tufts?

The faculty at Tufts are highly qualified and dedicated to their students' success. They are known for their expertise in various areas of mathematics and their commitment to teaching and mentoring undergraduate students.

3. What opportunities are available for undergraduate math students at Tufts?

Tufts offers a variety of opportunities for undergraduate math students, including research opportunities, internships, and study abroad programs. The math department also hosts seminars, workshops, and guest lectures for students to expand their knowledge and network with professionals in the field.

4. How is the curriculum for undergraduate mathematics at Tufts?

The curriculum at Tufts for undergraduate mathematics is rigorous and well-rounded. It covers a broad range of topics in pure and applied mathematics, and also allows students to choose electives in their areas of interest. The curriculum also emphasizes critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

5. What is the learning environment like for undergraduate math students at Tufts?

The learning environment at Tufts is supportive and collaborative. Small class sizes allow for individual attention and interaction with professors. The math department also offers tutoring services and study groups for students who need extra help. Additionally, the department has a strong sense of community, with opportunities for students to participate in clubs, events, and competitions.