Undergraduate Physics/Astronomy/Cosmology in Boston Area

In summary: I was really nervous about the situation, but Emory was so supportive and helped me get through it. If you are having any doubts, feel free to reach out to me.In summary, the schools seem to have different agendas. I want to know if the graduates from these schools are prepared for research.
Carraway9
School sites seem like they don't paint the full picture of a program, so I'd love some inside advice:

I am a transfer undergraduate and was wondering about:

Boston University (accepted)
Boston College (pending)
Brandeis (" ")
Northeastern (" ")
Tufts(" ")

My interests are in astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology, and getting into research as soon as I can.

Has anyone worked with graduates from these schools--were they prepared?

Thanks for reading n.n

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you been able to visit any of these schools in person?
All but Tufts and BC.

Good choice transferring to Boston (Go Sox!). My pick of the litter here is Tufts. I grew up in Medford and the campus is beautiful. I am a senior physics student at UCSD and I have taken physics courses at Tufts during summers. The department has really great professors. Their engineering department is unbelievable, and with it comes a great physics department. I also support BU because they do a lot of research with MIT and Harvard. I would completely throw away a consideration of Northeastern with your BU acceptance. Their co-op program is great, but it isn't the most beneficial for physicists. You'd rather be in a lab with a professor than interning for a year doing who knows what.

Likes Carraway9
Thanks for the great advice JohnPrior3 . I was really torn about Northeastern but this really helps.

Likes JohnPrior3
Carraway9 said:
Thanks for the great advice JohnPrior3 . I was really torn about Northeastern but this really helps.

Obviously don't just take my word for it. I have a friend that got a computer science degree from Northeastern and the co-op was a great chance for him to make a decent pay while building his resume. What are you planning on doing with your Bachelors in Physics? Also, being a transfer student may change the co-op requirement, but I find it unlikely you will find a transfer physics major Northeastern grad on this forum or maybe even the internet. I'd contact Northeastern (upon your acceptance.. I like being optimistic) and figure out what a physics degree from their school would entail. You are eventually going to have to consider which colleges accept previous credits and what is the most cost efficient path. When it all boils down, I truly believe any of those colleges would give you great opportunities. I had a friend who transferred to Tufts after his Sophomore year and there were quite a few issues with accepted credits. I applied to transfer and was accepted to Emory after my freshman year (I was by credits a second semester sophomore) and there was a huge issue with my total credits coming from a quarter system.

1. What universities in Boston offer undergraduate Physics/Astronomy/Cosmology programs?

Some universities in the Boston area that offer undergraduate programs in Physics, Astronomy, and Cosmology include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Boston University, Northeastern University, and Tufts University.

2. What is the difference between Physics, Astronomy, and Cosmology?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

3. Can I major in both Physics and Astronomy/Cosmology?

It is possible to double major in Physics and Astronomy/Cosmology at some universities in the Boston area. However, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule and consult with an advisor to ensure you can complete both majors in a timely manner.

4. Are there research opportunities in undergraduate Physics/Astronomy/Cosmology programs in Boston?

Yes, many universities in the Boston area offer undergraduate research opportunities in Physics, Astronomy, and Cosmology. These opportunities can range from assisting faculty with their research projects to conducting your own independent research with the guidance of a mentor.

5. What career options are available for graduates with a degree in Physics/Astronomy/Cosmology?

Graduates with a degree in Physics, Astronomy, or Cosmology can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, education, engineering, data analysis, and more. Some common job titles include physicist, astronomer, data scientist, and science teacher.