How Is Work Calculated When a Suitcase Is Pulled Up a Ramp?

In summary, A luggage handler pulls a suitcase of mass 16.6kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 20.0 above the horizontal by a force of magnitude 149N that acts parallel to the ramp. The suitcase travels a distance 3.70m along the ramp. The work done on the suitcase by the force F is 518 J. When considering the work done by friction, the equation is simply force * distance. The work done on the suitcase by the friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction (0.262) by the normal force (mgcosθ) and the distance traveled (3.70m). It is important to note that the work done on the suitcase by the friction
kdizzle711
A luggage handler pulls a suitcase of mass 16.6kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 20.0 above the horizontal by a force of magnitude 149N that acts parallel to the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the incline is 0.262. The suitcase travels a distance 3.70m along the ramp.

Calculate the work done on the suitcase by the force F.
I am doing
W= 149*cos(20)*3.7
=518
and its not correct

Physics news on Phys.org
How about considering the work done by friction?

This question just wants the work done on the suitcase regardless of friction, there is another question a couple down asking the work done on the suitcase by the friction force. I am not looking for the total work yet, just the work done on the suitcase

Well then the work done by F is just simply force*distance. The force,F, is already parallel to the plane.

I got the answer to the first question, I had my calculator in degress instead of radians, but I can't figure out the equation for
Calculate the work done on the suitcase by the friction force.

My teacher has us do the homework online before she ever teaches us, and it is for a grade. So every week our class has to go into the homework like a deer in headlights

Related to How Is Work Calculated When a Suitcase Is Pulled Up a Ramp?

1. What is the definition of "work done by a suitcase"?

The work done by a suitcase is the amount of force that is applied to move the suitcase over a certain distance. It is measured in Joules (J) or Newton-meters (N*m).

2. How is the work done by a suitcase calculated?

The work done by a suitcase can be calculated using the formula W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done by a suitcase?

The amount of work done by a suitcase is affected by the force applied, the distance over which the force is applied, and the direction of the force. Additionally, the weight and friction of the suitcase can also affect the amount of work done.

4. How does the work done by a suitcase relate to its kinetic energy?

The work done by a suitcase is directly related to its kinetic energy. As the suitcase is moved, work is done to overcome the resistance of its weight and any friction. This work is then converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.

5. Can the work done by a suitcase be negative?

Yes, the work done by a suitcase can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the motion. This means that the suitcase is being slowed down or stopped, and the work is being done against the motion of the suitcase.