How is work dependent on displacement rather than distance?

In summary, the work done when pushing a box back and forth over a distance of 1m with a force of 10N is not zero, as the formula work=force x displacement only applies to constant forces. Instead, the total work done is 20J, calculated by breaking the problem into two pieces and using the "path integral" of the vector dot product of instantaneous force and incremental displacement.
pkc111
Using the definition of work=force x displacement (which I understand is correct):If I push a box along the ground with force of 10N over a distance of 1m and then back again to the starting point, the above eqn would indicate I have done zero work (because displacement =0). But my muscles have put a lot of work into the box (like force x distance)?
I would appreciate it if anyone could explain this?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you push a box out and then back then this is not a case of constant force. The force times displacement formula only works for a constant force. So break the problem up into two pieces where the force is constant on each piece.

The work you have done pushing the box out is +10N times +1m = 10J. The work you have done pushing the box back is -10N times -1m = 10J. Total work done = 20J.

More generally the work done pushing an object along a path is the "path integral" of the vector dot product of instantaneous force times incremental displacement along the path -- in effect you break the problem down into lots and lots of small pieces where force and direction are approximately constant and then take the limit as "lots and lots" goes to infinity.

Great Thanks! That makes sense now

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the shortest distance between the starting point and the end point of an object's motion. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the movement.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the actual length of the path an object takes during its motion. It is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of the movement, regardless of the direction. Displacement, on the other hand, takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

3. Why is work dependent on displacement rather than distance?

Work is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force. Since displacement takes into account the direction of an object's motion, it is a more accurate measure of the distance over which the force is applied, and therefore, a better representation of the work done.

4. Can displacement ever be greater than distance?

Yes, displacement can be greater than distance. This happens when an object moves back and forth in the same direction, as displacement takes into account the net change in position, while distance only considers the total length of the path traveled.

5. How is displacement used in calculating work?

In order to calculate work, the force applied to an object must be multiplied by the displacement in the direction of the force. This is because displacement takes into account the direction of motion, making it a more accurate representation of the distance over which the force is applied.