How its Possible for Bumblebees to fly?

• Thread starter josephcaritel
  • Start date
In summary: Oh, certainly. Vortices are crucial to bumblebee flight - the wings undergo a stall on every wingbeat which causes the shedding of a fairly sizeable vortex. The very low reynolds number causes this to affect substantially more air than you would otherwise expect given the wing size as well, so the combination of low reynolds number and vortex formation allows flight with a surprisingly high wing loading (when compared to the wing loading of objects at scales we are more used to dealing with).
josephcaritel
As per Aerodynamics theory, Bumblebees can't fly, prove it how can they fly,
Their wing to body weight ratio is very critical to prove,
And we have not succeeded to do aircraft with flapping wings.
http://library.thinkquest.org/08aug/02343/Pictures%20-%20Bumble%20bee/bumble%20bee.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
josephcaritel said:
As per Aerodynamics theory, Bumblebees can't fly ...
Nonsense. This is an old urban myth that just won't die.

The original concept didn't take wingtip vortices into account. Bees' wings don't just flap; they twist.

Danger said:
The original concept didn't take wingtip vortices into account. Bees' wings don't just flap; they twist.

The version I heard is that the myth originated when someone didn't take into account the very low reynolds numbers at which bumblebees fly. The aerodynamic principles change quite a bit in this flow regime - viscosity becomes more important, while having a nice, streamlined shape becomes a whole lot less important (especially for the lifting surfaces, such as the wings).

cjl said:
The version I heard is that the myth originated when someone didn't take into account the very low reynolds numbers at which bumblebees fly. The aerodynamic principles change quite a bit in this flow regime - viscosity becomes more important, while having a nice, streamlined shape becomes a whole lot less important (especially for the lifting surfaces, such as the wings).

I was unaware of that one, but it seems logical. There is no doubt, though, that the vortices are a major contributor. If you watch extreme slow-motion movies of the wings, you'll see that there is a tremendous "whiplash" imparted by the outer extremity when it snaps around. (The closest analogy that I can think of is the wrist action of a person throwing something.)

josephcaritel said:
As per Aerodynamics theory, Bumblebees can't fly, prove it how can they fly.
There have been several versions of how this misconception came to be. Wiki article mentions a few possibilities:

wiki_bumblebee_misconceptions.htm

The other issue is the amount of energy consumed by bumblebees or hummingbirds during flight, but they rely on rubber band like muscles (and/or flexible membranes for some insects) that vibrate elastically, reducing the energy required to maintain flight.

josephcaritel said:
There are motor powered models that fly. Human powered models haven't done very well. Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithopter

rcgldr said:
There are motor powered models that fly.
May favortite one, because it bends the wings like a bird, not just flaps them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnR8fDW3Ilo

rcgldr said:
Human powered models haven't done very well. Wiki article:

Not self starting, but sustained flight for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E77j1imdhQ

I'm not sure if they were limited by the stamina or just by the available space to land safely. Human powered propeller planes flew tens of kilometers.

Last edited:
josephcaritel said:
As per Aerodynamics theory, Bumblebees can't fly, prove it how can they fly,
Their wing to body weight ratio is very critical to prove,
Ask the bees. They do not follow our preconceptions.

turbo said:

:rofl:

And I'd love to hear their version of "the birds and the bees". (It's always been my contention that the bees would be food in that relationship, but maybe that's why I don't have children.)

turbo said:

Man Got the concept of Flying from Birds, Not by Asking Bro...

Danger said:
I was unaware of that one, but it seems logical. There is no doubt, though, that the vortices are a major contributor. If you watch extreme slow-motion movies of the wings, you'll see that there is a tremendous "whiplash" imparted by the outer extremity when it snaps around. (The closest analogy that I can think of is the wrist action of a person throwing something.)

Oh, certainly. Vortices are crucial to bumblebee flight - the wings undergo a stall on every wingbeat which causes the shedding of a fairly sizeable vortex. The very low reynolds number causes this to affect substantially more air than you would otherwise expect given the wing size as well, so the combination of low reynolds number and vortex formation allows flight with a surprisingly high wing loading (when compared to the wing loading of objects at scales we are more used to dealing with).

1. How do bumblebees defy the laws of physics and fly?

The unique shape and structure of bumblebees' wings allow them to create lift and generate thrust, which enables them to fly. Their wings are curved and have a special structure that creates vortices, or small air currents, which help to lift the bee up and keep it in the air.

2. Is it true that bumblebees' wings are too small to support their body weight?

No, this is a common misconception. While bumblebees' wings are relatively small, they are perfectly proportioned to support their body weight. In fact, their wings beat at a much lower frequency than other insects, allowing them to fly more efficiently.

3. How do bumblebees generate enough power to fly?

Bumblebees have very strong muscles that allow them to beat their wings at a high frequency, generating enough power to lift their body weight. They also have a unique flight muscle structure that allows them to work harder and longer than other insects.

4. Can bumblebees fly in all types of weather?

While bumblebees are excellent fliers, they are affected by weather conditions just like any other insect. They are most active on warm, sunny days and may have trouble flying in strong winds or heavy rain. However, they are quite resilient and can navigate through most weather conditions.

5. How can bumblebees fly with such a large and heavy body?

Bumblebees' bodies are not as heavy as they may seem. They have a very light exoskeleton and their internal organs are compact, allowing them to have a relatively low body weight compared to their size. This, combined with their powerful flight muscles and unique wing structure, allows them to fly with ease.