How long do structures continue shaking after quake?

• Thread starter Pollywoggy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary: Around 40 people were killed by the Loma Prieta earthquake in October, 1989. Much less than Haiti 2010, yes; but I don't think 'minimal' is an appropriate description.In summary, an earthquake in California yesterday lasted between 30 seconds and 60 seconds, with shaking lasting 10 seconds.
Pollywoggy
I live in northern California and there was a substantial earthquake here yesterday. To me, it seemed as though the shaking continued for somewhere between 30 seconds and 60 seconds, but one newspaper article stated the ground shook for 10 seconds.

Does anyone know how long structures such as houses make from wood continue to shake after the ground shaking subsides?

(I posted here because I did not consider this a "homework" type question)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most small buildings have a lot of damping/aren't very elastic so they would not continue to shake for more than a second or two after the ground stopped shaking.

russ_watters said:
Most small buildings have a lot of damping/aren't very elastic so they would not continue to shake for more than a second or two after the ground stopped shaking.
I've only experienced an earthquake once, a 7.1 in San Fran back in '88 or so, while I was driving my car. The road rolled, I had trouble steering, and I noticed a telephone pole swaying back and forth. After the ground stopped shaking, the pole quickly dampened out in a few seconds, as Russ noted. Back in the hotel room later, an aftershock occured. A glass on the desktop tipped over, but then the the shaking stopped in barely a second or 2. Having never experienced a quake before, I didn't know it was an earthquake until the radio announcer of the world series game in Oakland, that I was listening to, shouted, "I think we've had an earthquake!'". Fortunately, injuries, destruction, and deaths were minimal, unlike the terrible tragic results of the recent Haiti earthquake, of similar strength.

Last edited:
...and a telephone pole is actually reasonably elastic. A lot more elastic than a concrete block.

russ_watters said:
...and a telephone pole is actually reasonably elastic. A lot more elastic than a concrete block.
Right, the pole shook for a few seconds; the hotel shaking post quake was minimal.

PhanthomJay said:
Fortunately, injuries, destruction, and deaths were minimal, unlike the terrible tragic results of the recent Haiti earthquake, of similar strength.

Around 40 people were killed by the Loma Prieta earthquake in October, 1989. Much less than Haiti 2010, yes; but I don't think 'minimal' is an appropriate description.

1. How long do structures continue shaking after a quake?

The duration of shaking after an earthquake depends on the intensity and magnitude of the quake, as well as the type and condition of the structure. In general, the shaking can last from a few seconds to several minutes.

2. What factors affect the duration of shaking after a quake?

Some of the key factors that can impact the duration of shaking after an earthquake include the distance from the epicenter, the depth of the earthquake, and the type of soil or rock the structure is built on.

3. How can structures be designed to withstand longer periods of shaking?

Structures can be designed with specific earthquake-resistant features, such as flexible joints, base isolation systems, and reinforced materials, to help them withstand longer periods of shaking.

4. Can aftershocks prolong the shaking of a structure?

Yes, aftershocks can cause additional shaking and can prolong the duration of shaking for structures that have already been weakened by the initial earthquake. Aftershocks can occur for days, weeks, or even months after the main quake.

5. Is there a way to predict how long a structure will shake after an earthquake?

Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately predict how long a structure will shake after an earthquake. It is important for structures to be built to withstand a range of shaking intensities to ensure the safety of occupants.