1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The length of the barrel of a primitive blowgun is 1.5 m. Upon leaving the barrel, a dart has a speed of 12 m/s. Assuming that the dart is uniformly accelerated, how long does it take for the dart to travel the length of the barrel?

2. Relevant equations

I was thinking of using t=d/v.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So it might be t=1.5/12
    t= .125 s? but that doesn't sound right at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The dart is uniformly accelerated. Your approach would not satisfy this condition.

Go to this link and see if there aren't some equations that might help you:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

4. Aug 17, 2008 #3
    Oh... I see. Hm... my teacher didn't exactly cover any of the problems that he assigned to us except questions about displacement. I don't know how to even start this out.

5. Aug 17, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Look at the equations at the link I gave.

You are given Velocity at a distance from the start of the pipe. You can figure it started at rest when it left Sharpie the Blow Man's lips. Perhaps you can figure the acceleration and from that figure the time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?