A rifle barrel question related with Kinetic Energy Theorem

In summary, a 15.0g bullet is accelerated to a speed of 780m/s in a rifle barrel of length 72.0cm. Part a asks for the kinetic energy of the bullet as it leaves the barrel, which is equal to the final kinetic energy of 4573J. Part b uses the work kinetic energy theorem to find the net work done on the bullet, which is equal to the final kinetic energy of 4573J. The initial kinetic energy of the bullet is 0J and the source of potential energy is the explosive powder inside the bullet's cartridge shell.
youngC0610

Homework Statement

A 15.0g bullet is accelerated from rest to a speed of 780m/s in a rifle barrel of length of 72.0cm
a)Find the kinetic energy of the bullet as it leaves the barrel
b)Use the work kinetic energy theorem to find the net work that is done on the bullet.
(this problem had part c.d.e... which were meant to be solved with the length info, and I figured so I didn't post here: length of barrel is unnecessary for part a and b.)

Homework Equations

my question is more about conceptual part of the problem: I accidently got the part b right from thinking the initial KE is zero, but part a's answer is 4563J (equal to final KE).
I'm confused how if its initial energy is 4563J and final energy is 4573J results the kinetic energy theorem deltaK = Kf- Ki = 4563J.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) "at rest" so I thought kinetic energy is 0J on the object and another external work cased the bullet to move.
b) Thinking the initial kinetic energy affected the net work would be equal to final kinetic energy : 1/2*.015kg*(780m/s)^2. =4563J

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a asks for the KE as it leaves the barrel. I.e. after it has been fired.

The bullets initial Kinetic Energy is 0 and the source of Potential Energy to be converted to the bullet's Kinetic Energy is stored in the explosive powder inside the the bullet's cartridge shell., i.e. KE bullet = PE explosive powder.

1. What is the Kinetic Energy Theorem?

The Kinetic Energy Theorem, also known as the Work-Energy Theorem, states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How does the Kinetic Energy Theorem relate to rifle barrels?

In the context of rifle barrels, the Kinetic Energy Theorem explains how the force exerted on the bullet by the expanding gases in the barrel translates into the bullet's kinetic energy, propelling it forward.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a bullet fired from a rifle barrel?

The kinetic energy of a bullet fired from a rifle barrel is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the length and smoothness of the barrel, and the amount of gunpowder used.

4. How can the Kinetic Energy Theorem be used to improve rifle barrel design?

By understanding the principles of the Kinetic Energy Theorem, rifle barrel designers can optimize their designs to maximize the transfer of energy from the expanding gases to the bullet, resulting in higher muzzle velocities and more accurate shots.

5. Are there any limitations to the Kinetic Energy Theorem in relation to rifle barrels?

While the Kinetic Energy Theorem is a useful tool for understanding the mechanics of rifle barrels, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance and gravity, which can affect the trajectory of the bullet after it leaves the barrel.