How long does it take to obtain a PhD?

• Programs
  • Thread starter billthegeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: In the USA, a PhD student will usually have a Bachelor's degree and then take classes in physics and math for three years. This gives them a good foundation and also allows for more flexibility.This is true for all countries, but the US system is more geared towards research.
billthegeek
As stated in the title, how long does it take to obtain a PhD for someone with an B.Sc. undergraduate degree, but without a master's degree? I would like to know the average time, as well as the shortest time possible. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This varies quite a lot with the place where you plan to get your PhD and the subject. Which country are you in, and what field are you asking about?

Oops, apologies, I forgot to include that info... :uhh:

I am referring to a PhD in Physics. I am currently residing in Singapore but I am intending to pursue my post-grad studies in either US or UK.

I think the average is probably somewhere in the region of 4 years, especially for a student entering with no masters level classes under their belt.

cristo said:
I think the average is probably somewhere in the region of 4 years, especially for a student entering with no masters level classes under their belt.
In the UK.
In the US, it's often a minimum of 5 years for a combined ms/phd and it usually ends up in the 6-8 year range. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v431/n7006/full/nj7006-382a.html->it's from 2004, but the numbers haven't changed much.

Last edited by a moderator:
billthegeek said:
As stated in the title, how long does it take to obtain a PhD for someone with an B.Sc. undergraduate degree, but without a master's degree? I would like to know the average time, as well as the shortest time possible. Thanks!

Just a word of advice, that information is going to be totally useless to you. Your Ph.D. is done when it's done, and there is no way of predicting how long that is.

Median time in the US for physics is about five years, but it can go anywhere from four to eight.

How is this possible, that it's so fast in UK?

In Poland we have 3 years Bachelor's degree, 2 years Master's degree, and then PhD that takes about 4-5 years, which gives 10 years.

In the UK the length of funding is set at 3 years, so this is the aim though more students are finding that they overrun - generally from 6 months to a year.

One of the reasons for the short time is that the set-up is different in the UK than it is in the USA: UK PhD students have to take a minimal amount of credits, and so start their research immediately. Also, undergraduate degrees contibute to this a little: in the UK, degrees will be 4 or 5 years and the student will only take one or two subjects throughout: a physics degree will only need classes in physics and maths, and generally it is not an option to choose classes outside of this.

1. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD program?

The length of time it takes to obtain a PhD can vary depending on the field of study, the individual's research progress, and the specific requirements of the program. On average, it takes about 5-7 years to complete a PhD program.

2. Can a PhD be completed in less than 5 years?

While it is possible to complete a PhD in less than 5 years, it is not very common. Some programs may offer accelerated options for highly motivated students, but it is important to carefully consider the workload and potential sacrifices before pursuing an accelerated program.

3. Is it possible to complete a PhD in more than 7 years?

Yes, it is possible to take longer than 7 years to complete a PhD. This may be due to various factors such as personal circumstances, research setbacks, or changes in research focus. It is important to communicate with your advisor and program about any potential delays and to develop a plan for completing the degree.

4. Can I work while completing a PhD?

Many PhD programs require full-time commitment and it can be challenging to balance work and studies. However, some programs may offer part-time options or allow students to work on campus as teaching or research assistants. It is important to discuss any work commitments with your advisor to ensure they do not interfere with your research progress.

5. Can I transfer credits from a previous degree towards my PhD program?

In some cases, it is possible to transfer credits from a previous degree towards a PhD program. This will depend on the specific requirements of the program and the relevance of the credits to your current research. It is best to discuss transfer credits with your advisor and the program coordinator before making any assumptions.