1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses How long is a string theory course?

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    What is the length of a typical course on string theory?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm guessing that it'll be a lifetime, since the issue has not come close to resolution.

4. May 1, 2008 #3
    Yea, I guess it's like asking how long is a piece of string.

5. May 2, 2008 #4
    Priceless. :rolleyes:

6. May 2, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want a serious answer: string theory courses, like most other courses nowadays, tend to be a semester long.

7. May 2, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

I didn't know there were courses held for areas of physics which are as yet unresolved.

8. May 2, 2008 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. May 2, 2008 #8
    Yea at first I thought it was pretty funny. But now that I think of it it's a pretty good idea to give people a grounding in the theory if they're curious even if it isn't done yet. It makes life easier then trying to read all the papers published and having to figure out which are important and then learning all the different prereq math.

But with the structured course you get a taste of what the theory is about and because it's a university course the Professor will know what grounding in math everyone has because of the prereqs assigned to the course.

10. May 2, 2008 #9
    At the undergrad level a string theory course would be one semester long, and at the grad level it's usually a two semester course.

As for the matter of only offering courses on charted territory-- many advanced grad level courses merge right with current research. And frankly there needs to be more courses like that, so that the transition becomes a little less awkward than jumping from pre-WWII physics with simple toy problems for homework to working on current research for a thesis!

11. May 5, 2008 #10
    I can't wait to take a string theory course. I might just buy the book though once I know all the required math.

12. May 5, 2008 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it is extremely short once you get into the fifth dimension.

13. May 5, 2008 #12

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Short, but probably repetitive. :rofl:

14. May 5, 2008 #13
    Is this a curled dimension joke? :rofl:

15. May 5, 2008 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

how long is a string theory? that reminds me of a question my wife asked in italy once:

"what is spaghetti al ragu?"

and the waiter said; "spaghetti is a long thin pasta".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?