Is Studying String Theory Worthwhile for a Future in Theoretical Physics?

In summary, the individual is studying theoretical physics and is interested in focusing their work on string theory. They have heard from their peers that it may be a waste of time, but have also received encouragement from academics in the field. The individual questions if it is worthwhile to pursue string theory, but the expert suggests considering factors such as employment opportunities and personal interest. The individual has chosen to focus on AdS/CFT correspondence for their final project and thanks the expert for their time.
BolitaKini
Hello, I am studing theoretical physics and i would like to focus my work in string theory, but my fellows say that is a waste of time. ¿Do you think that is worthwhile to spend my time and effort un string theory?
Greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
So I'm not sure who you mean by "fellows" but I'm not sure anyone is really in a position to call it a waste of time.

I have just recently begun my MSc in Theoretical Physics and I also wanted to learn about String Theory. I have had my own concerns about whether it is a worthwhile focus for my PhD or future research, you hear a lot about how the field is stagnating and there hasn't been any major breakthroughs in some time.

Especially whilst picking a project for my dissertation I've had the pleasure of discussing String Theory with a fair few academics, none of whom's research is in the field of String Theory, some of whom work on quantum gravity, every one of them told me if I was interested in String Theory I should absolutely go for it and it is in no way a waste of time.

I think in order to see the value of research in String Theory one needs to think of it as so much more than a theory of quantum gravity, or even a theory of everything, what it has already done for the development of mathematics and what it could continue to do is more than enough for me to say its not a waste of time.

Maybe a more important question than is it a waste of time might be is it a waste of your time? if you find it interesting and it satisfies whatever curiosity you have as a Physicist then I would imagine the answer is no?

Last edited by a moderator:
BolitaKini said:
Hello, I am studing theoretical physics and i would like to focus my work in string theory, but my fellows say that is a waste of time. ¿Do you think that is worthwhile to spend my time and effort un string theory?
Greetings

You may study anything you want, but the question is, what do you want to DO with it?

Inevitably, the question EMPLOYMENT (remember that?) comes into play. So where in the world are you, or where in the world do you intend to seek employment after you graduate? What are the employment rate there of not only physics degree holders, but also degree holders having an expertise in THAT area that you want to specialize in? What are the odds that you will find someone or some institution that will pay you money to continue your work in string theory?

Rather than asking if it is a "waste of time", which really is subjective, ask these questions that I've asked you and ponder the possible answers.

Zz.

Likes ISamson and Demystifier
I'm studing a MSc in theoretical physics, i had to choose a subject for my final project, i asked the question because it is linked with a future PhD, finally i chose the AdS/CFT correspondance. Thanks for your time.

BolitaKini said:
I'm studing a MSc in theoretical physics, i had to choose a subject for my final project, i asked the question because it is linked with a future PhD, finally i chose the AdS/CFT correspondance. Thanks for your time.

Just to point out something in case you missed it, but you didn't even address the issues that I brought up.

Zz.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces) by describing them in terms of tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. How do you study string theory?

Studying string theory involves using mathematical equations and techniques from various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also involves testing theoretical predictions through experiments and observations.

3. What are the potential applications of string theory?

String theory has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and could potentially lead to a unified theory of physics. It also has implications for cosmology and the study of the early universe.

4. What challenges are faced when studying string theory?

One of the main challenges in studying string theory is that it is a highly complex and mathematical theory, making it difficult to test experimentally. It also requires a high level of expertise and collaboration among scientists from different fields.

5. Is string theory considered a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a theoretical framework and has not yet been proven. While it has shown promise in its potential to unify the fundamental forces, it has yet to be tested and verified through experiments and observations.