1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing How long is Ph.D qualifying exam? How long should I take for preparation?

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    I am going to finish my Master Degree in Mechanical Engineering in next sesmester. After that, I'll move on to my Ph.D program. How long do I have to take to prepare for Ph.D qualifying exam? How long is Ph.D qualifying exam?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2
    It depends on the school/program. As a single example, I took a month off of research to study full-time, and the test was administered over three days in blocks of 4 questions. 4 questions in 4 hours on the first day, 8 questions in 8 hours on the second, and 4 questions/hours the third. about 60% of those who took it passed.

Good luck!

/I was one of them
  4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Really depends on the school for both aspects of this question. I had 2 days of 6 hours each (6 questions each). I studied all summer long, full time (6-10 hours a day- a little less on weekends), to pass. It is a major undertaking and you don't want to have to take it a second time. Do it right the first time and you will be much more sane.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?