How long is Ph.D qualifying exam? How long should I take for preparation?

  • Topic: Testing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Kinn Sein
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exam Ph.d Preparation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
Kinn Sein
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I am going to finish my Master Degree in Mechanical Engineering in next sesmester. After that, I'll move on to my Ph.D program. How long do I have to take to prepare for Ph.D qualifying exam? How long is Ph.D qualifying exam?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school/program. As a single example, I took a month off of research to study full-time, and the test was administered over three days in blocks of 4 questions. 4 questions in 4 hours on the first day, 8 questions in 8 hours on the second, and 4 questions/hours the third. about 60% of those who took it passed.

Good luck!


/I was one of them
 
Really depends on the school for both aspects of this question. I had 2 days of 6 hours each (6 questions each). I studied all summer long, full time (6-10 hours a day- a little less on weekends), to pass. It is a major undertaking and you don't want to have to take it a second time. Do it right the first time and you will be much more sane.