How Long Will It Take for the Car to Collide with the Truck?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wangwang2626
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
wangwang2626
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Ok so the car is 25 m behind a truck which suddenly braked. I put it as decelerating at -6.5 m/s it was traveling at 110km/h . I would like to know how long it takes to collide with the truck , and if it dosent what would I have to change the deceleration to be so that it does collide with the truck?
What I did was
v=vo+at
t=(v-vo)/a
t=30.5556/(-6.5)
but that's obviously wrong
I don't know what to do next
or what other formula to use
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the car was traveling at 110km/h when they noticed that the truck was not moving , it was 25 meters behind , I said it was decelerating at 6.5 m/s so how long would it take till it got to the truck and at what speed would it hit the truck. If the car does not reach the truck can you please suggest a different deceleration?
 
In the absence of the truck, how much distance is covered by the car from the moment it starts to decelerate until its speed = 0? Is that distance < or > 25m? (Hint: you first need to compute the time to decelerate to zero, which you have already done except for the wrong sign).

When you get this part we can continue with the second part of the question.