Calculating Time for Car to Catch Up to Truck

• Thread starter Wanting to Learn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Truck
In summary, the car will take 20.83 seconds to reach the truck. The equation used is d=tv, where d is the distance, t is the time, and v is the velocity. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent when using this equation. In this case, the distance was given in meters, so it needed to be converted to kilometers before plugging it into the equation.
Wanting to Learn

Homework Statement

A car traveling 93 km/h is 250 m behind a truck traveling 81 km/h.
How long will it take the car to reach the truck (in seconds)?

Homework Equations

d=tv

The Attempt at a Solution

dc = 93t
dt = 81t
dc = dt + 250
93t = 81t + 250
12t = 250
t = 250/12
t = 20.83h = 75,000sec

The online homework website (I just started AP Physics 1) says that is the incorrect answer. Where did I go wrong? Do I need to use a different equation(s)?

Thank you in advance for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I just realized maybe I need to change the km to m or vice versa... will try that and then post whether it works.

Okay, having converted 250m to 0.25km and redoing the calculation I got the correct answer.

What is the concept of "Car Catching up to a Truck"?

The concept of "Car Catching up to a Truck" refers to a situation where a car is traveling at a faster speed than a truck and is approaching the truck from behind. This can happen on a highway or any other road where vehicles are traveling at different speeds.

Why does a car catch up to a truck?

A car catches up to a truck because it is traveling at a faster speed than the truck. This can happen due to various factors such as the car having a more powerful engine, the truck carrying a heavy load, or the truck traveling at a lower speed.

What are the safety implications of a car catching up to a truck?

There are several safety implications when a car catches up to a truck. The car driver needs to be aware of the increased risk of a collision, as the truck may not be able to see the car in their blind spot. It is important for the car driver to maintain a safe distance and be prepared to slow down or change lanes if necessary.

How can a car driver safely pass a truck?

To safely pass a truck, a car driver should maintain a safe distance and use their turn signal to indicate their intention to pass. They should also check for any oncoming traffic and only pass when it is safe to do so. It is important to maintain a steady speed while passing and not cut in front of the truck too closely.

What are some tips for truck drivers when a car is catching up to them?

Truck drivers should be aware of their blind spots and regularly check their mirrors for any approaching vehicles. If a car is catching up to them, they should maintain their speed and stay in their lane. If necessary, they can also use their turn signals to indicate that they are aware of the car and the car driver can safely pass them.