1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Long Will it Take Me to Catch The Bus?

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lisa is late for the school bus! (Oh - no) As Otto is pulling away with a constant acceleration of 1.10 m/s/s. Lisa is 11m away and running at a constant speed of 5.05 m/s..

When will Lisa catch the bus?

Where will Lisa catch the bus using the bus's initial position as the referance point?

2. Relevant equations

DeltaX= Vot+1/2a(t)sqrd

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly I have sat here thinking for about 30 minutes... any insight on how to start would be great.... (I don't just want the answer)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2
    Hi bleedblue1234

I think the initial speed of the bus is zero. If I interpret the question correctly, it will be like this :

Assume that Lisa catches the bus at point X after both of them move for t seconds. At that time, the bus will travel distance d and Lisa will travel distance 11 + d.
    Now set up two equations and solve for t and use the value of t to find where Lisa will catch the bus. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook