Will the man catch the bus if he starts 10 meters away from the door?

In summary, a man is running at a speed of 4.0 m/s to catch a standing bus. The bus starts moving forward with a constant acceleration of 1.2 m/s^2 when the man is 6.0 m away from the door. It takes the man approximately 7.9 seconds to reach the door, and if he starts 10.0 m away from the door, he will catch the bus after 8.6 seconds. These calculations are based on the assumption that the man's position is represented by Sman = vt, where he starts 6 m behind the door and Sbus = 0.6t^2.
stephenranger

Homework Statement

A man runs at a speed of 4.0 m/s to catch a standing bus. When his distance to the door is 6.0 m, the bus starts moving forward and continues with a constant acceleration of 1.2 m/s2.

1. How many seconds does it take for the man to reach the door ?
2. If at the beginning he is 10.0 m from the door, will he (running at the same speed) ever catch up?

Homework Equations

S=vt
S=1/2 at2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Solution for the first question.
Function for the man displacement is: Sman=4t+6
Function for the bus displacement is: Sbus=1/2(1.2)t2=0.6t2
When the man catches the bus: Sman=Sbus ↔ 4t+6 = 0.6t2 ↔ 0.6t2-4t-6 = 0 (t>0) → t≈ 7.9 s.

2.Solution for the second question.
If at the beginning he is 10.0 m from the door, function for his displacement is: Sman=4t+10
Sman=Sbus ↔ 0.6t2-4t-10 = 0 (t>0) → t ≈ 8.6 s
Therefore if at the beginning he is 10 m from the door, he will catch the bus after 8.6 s.

I wonder if my solutions are correct? because I'm not sure whether I should add 6 meters and 10 meters or subtract them from the displacement function of the man ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first question you calculate the time needed for the bus to cover the same distance as the man, when the bus starts at zero speed and the man starts 6 m ahead. That's not what you are after !

Tip: make a graph with time horizontal and position (man, door) vertical.

By the way, if you calculate 1.5 sec for 6 m, then alarm bells must start ringing if you find almost 8 sec as an answer to a) !

Some humor input: Where I live, the doors close before the bus takes off., so there's no catching anyway :)

And: don't try this in your home town, even if the doors close later :)

Yet another smartass remark: try to distinguish between position and displacement. In your wording, and in the equations. In this exercise you need position (you want the positions to be equal).

Your displacement of the man equation, therefore, is wrong: s = vt is right. But he is 6 m behind at t-0, so his position wrt the door at t=0 is -6 m and develops with time as -6 m + vt. Whereas the door wrt "the door at t=0" has position as you wrote. (As you notice, position and displacement are then the same, because of the choice of origin for the position coordinate).

Last edited:
Thank you very much, BvU. Now I understand.

What is the definition of displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length an object travels, while displacement takes into account the direction of the movement.

What is the formula for calculating displacement?

Displacement can be calculated using the formula: displacement = final position - initial position.

Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the final position is less than the initial position, indicating that the object has moved in the opposite direction.

How is displacement related to velocity?

Displacement and velocity are both measures of an object's change in position, with displacement being the distance and direction of the change, and velocity being the rate of change of displacement.