Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long will my gas tank will last?

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    How long will my gas tank last?

Dear All,

I've a question for you that's driving me a little bit crazy. I'm trying to set up low oxygen tension cell culture chambers to grow my cells. Here is a picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=43256&stc=1&d=1327867120.jpg

The chamber is cylindrical shape and has a volume of 1.2 liters, it's at room temperature and room air. I purchased a 50 liters tank at 150 bar of 2% oxigen, 5% CO2 and 93% N2. My protocols says to connect the tank with a 1/4 inches tube to the chamber and let the gas flow through the chamber at 2 psi for 2 minutes. Then I seal the two holes of the chamber and the air mix inside will be 2% O2, 5% CO2 and 93% N2.

I know the protocol is correct, so I don't care to reduce the flow time. I'm just wondering how many chambers I can prepare with a 50 liters, 150 bar tank.

Of course I'm looking for an approximate solution of my problem...it's just for cost estimation.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    It's impossible to calculate unless you know the flow rate in liters per minute. Get a rotameter and attach it to your tube and measure the flow rate at 2 psi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook