How many bad semesters are we allowed to have?

Just finished my worst one, by far. I've been a solid A/B student. But not this semester.

What was your worst semester?

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member
So are you actually asking "how many bad semesters are we allowed to have?" or what?

So are you actually asking "how many bad semesters are we allowed to have?" or what?
Yes.

We're not allowed to have any, it's sacrilege! :) This has been an extremely challenging semester for me because of time conflicts. Some nights I sleep 1 or 2 hours -_-

It depends more on the individual grades for each of the semesters.

We're not allowed to have any, it's sacrilege! :) This has been an extremely challenging semester for me because of time conflicts. Some nights I sleep 1 or 2 hours -_-
I found myself not having enough time for QM and Mechanics this semester.

Unfortunately, I have to sleep. I have an office job in between class days.

You are allowed to have either zero or pi bad semesters, but only these two values are allowed, - so be careful if you go over zero.

I found myself not having enough time for QM and Mechanics this semester.

Unfortunately, I have to sleep. I have an office job in between class days.
Yes this is very challenging. I read another thread here where someone had a bad semester, made a "C" in a couple of classes, and took the classes over again for a better grade when the timing was better. I don't know if that is advisable or not, but if having a couple of grades less than B does not affect your overall GPA in a substantial way, or if it does not impede any progression like getting into grad school, etc., you should be fine:)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
You are allowed to have either zero or pi bad semesters, but only these two values are allowed, - so be careful if you go over zero.
You can have [tex]n\pi[/tex] bad semesters actually.

Yes this is very challenging. I read another thread here where someone had a bad semester, made a "C" in a couple of classes, and took the classes over again for a better grade when the timing was better. I don't know if that is advisable or not, but if having a couple of grades less than B does not affect your overall GPA in a substantial way, or if it does not impede any progression like getting into grad school, etc., you should be fine:)
It is a bit challenging. It breaks any kind of learning "momentum," it seems. I'm swapping my major and minor to math and physics, respectively. It's just a couple of bad grades in the minor. After this semester, I only need 4 more hours to have a physics minor. Fortunately, I can focus only on the 8 or so math courses I need to finish out the BS.

You can have [tex]n\pi[/tex] bad semesters actually.
Even or odd integers?

where n is a complex number.

Don't worry. I didn't get it either. Must be an 'ultra-nerd' joke.

If you want to survive in the real world, none.

Think again.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
When you have some experience with the real world, maybe your advice will have some value. But as you are still in college - a freshman, right - all you are doing is adding noise.

One of the things a education should teach you is all opinions are not equal. Some are better supported in terms of logic and evidence than others.

When you have some experience with the real world, maybe your advice will have some value. But as you are still in college - a freshman, right - all you are doing is adding noise.

One of the things a education should teach you is all opinions are not equal. Some are better supported in terms of logic and evidence than others.
I can agree. Surviving in the real world necessitates you not giving up after a bad performance, or whatever.

I can agree. Surviving in the real world necessitates you not giving up after a bad performance, or whatever.
Yes, definitely never give up. That's the surest way to fail. One bad semester is of course recoverable, but each bad semester makes it harder and harder, till the point of no return. Eventually, the speed of the water going over the waterfall is faster than you can swim.

My earlier comment was partially a silly joke, but it also has a moral like a parable. Once you exceed zero bad semesters, your job becomes harder. It's not as impossible as making an integer equal pi, but parables need not be literal to get their point across. :smile: