How many decimals of Pi do you remember?

• Thread starter pi-70679
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, a group of individuals discuss their ability to memorize the digits of pi and debate its usefulness. Some have memorized up to 150 digits, while others see it as a pointless activity. One person believes it helps maintain their memory and coordination, while another uses it as a calming mantra. Some suggest alternative activities such as juggling or sniping for coordination. Overall, opinions vary on the usefulness and purpose of memorizing pi.
I had a math teacher that said in grad school he memorized digits of pi to compete with one of his friends. Personally I know 3.14159

Physics news on Phys.org
who wants to make a wager...the bet will be " who can memorize the first 100 decimals of pi before the other person" lol

I just say [itex]\pi[/itex]. No worries about precision

I say 3.14159265 but then I screw up and say 7 every time even though I know it's wrong. it's just stuck in my head that way. In a pinch I can recite pi to 3000 digits since no one I know can check whether I'm wrong or not

I just carry with me a gigantic wheel and a ruler at all times. ... this thread should be re-named "the official pi lame-joke-O-rama thread" :rofl:

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
I can remember all the digits but not necessarily in the correct order.

MY joke, Kurdt. That's MY joke!:grumpy:

In 10th grade I had a 12 digit calculator (1980's HP, the "sideways" kind). If you multiplied pi x 1000, then subtracted 3141, you got an extra 3 digits, for a total of 15 digits. I never bothered to memorize any more than that:

Chi Meson said:
MY joke, Kurdt. That's MY joke!:grumpy:

Thats what happens when ancient threads are resurrected. I can't be expected to read all posts :tongue:

Anyway it was a rather awful rip off of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNYUJIW4sw".

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I had a friend in high school who memorized [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] to 200+ decimal places, because e and pi were to mundane. He used to come up to me at my locker and start reciting. :rofl: We still keep in contact after 35 years.
and he's still reciting?

At last count, I remember somewhere around 200 digits of pi.

It has a three in it, right?

tribdog said:
and he's still reciting?

hahahaha :rofl::rofl:

I decided to remember a few this weekend just for kicks...I have 3.141592653589793238.

gabee said:
I decided to remember a few this weekend just for kicks...I have 3.141592653589793238.

Ha! I knew it!

tribdog said:
and he's still reciting?
Yes - he still does it, but he's not quite so serious about it.

Have you ever checked him? once you get three or four digits in you could make it up and no one would know. It's easy to fake being a genius, look at Smurf. I know a guy who mumbles numbers all the time.

I once gave him a piece of paper with [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] to 100+ decimal places. He would have me stand there reading the paper while he recited the number - he didn't fake it. He is now responsible for integration of instrumentation and protection (reactor safety) systems in modern nuclear power plants.

Tell him to give up on the number and try reciting safety procedures in case of a melt down. priorities man

tribdog said:
Tell him to give up on the number and try reciting safety procedures in case of a melt down. priorities man

haha tribdog :rofl:

Just to be a complete *******, I'm going to resurrect this post.

By the way: 3.141592653589793238 (18 digits)

Congratulations, I think we have a winner!

:rolleyes:

Does 10π count?

No, Jim, 10π doesn't count. XD

I used to have a mnemonic system (thanks to my two study hall periods a day in tenth grade), and I ended up memorizing it to about 30 digits. The only ones I remember now are 3.1415926, which is still more than I'll ever need to use...

HungryFox said:
No, Jim, 10π doesn't count. XD

Doh!

as a lysdexic, I got very po'd memorizing these silly numbers only to find myself getting the last four digits mixed up at the ripe old age of 10. I gave up.

Then in college I discovered you were not supposed to list accuracy past a certain point because it was pointless.

I was very happy that I stopped.

:smile:

But can you recite all of it - backwards

3.14 :smile:

22/7

mgb_phys said:
But can you recite all of it - backwards

Nope. I don't think I can recite anything backwards. I'm a forward thinker.

I don't understand why people waste their time remembering the decimals of Pi, do something productive that will actually be of value! :rolleyes:

exactly, one should also memorise e; Universal gas constant, R; Stefan-Boltzmann constant, σ; Speed of light in a vacuum, c; Planck constant, h; The density of air at various altitudes, ρ; etc, etc, etc... :tongue:

Used to do 368 digits - can't anymore though, since it was so pointless. I can easily do about 262 now, though.

Wow, a very tenacious thread with several necropostings all the way from 2003.

I find memorizing a couple of telephone #'s more practical.

22/7

Back