How many different card arrangements exclude inner cards at the ends?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elbobo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability Sat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Elbobo
Messages
145
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How many different arrangements can be made with these 5 cards?
There are 5 different cards laid out next to each other. How many different arrangements can be made so that one of the inner cards is never on either end?




Homework Equations


None, probably


The Attempt at a Solution


I know the answer (72), but I have no idea how to get it. It's basic probability, so there should be a simple way of getting it (i.e., no formulas)...

I tried 252 minus 5 because I didn't know what else to do.

Can someone help guide me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's do the same problem with the sequence of letters ABCDE. You want all to count all of the arrangements where one of the letters, say B, doesn't occur at either end. Count the number of possibilities for each letter in turn. That means there are 3 different positions B can occupy (since it can't be at either end). That leaves 4 positions to put the A (since the B is in one of the places). Which in turn leaves 3 positions for the C (since A and B are occupying 2 positions). 2 positions for the D, and 1 for the E. Multiply them all together. 3*4*3*2*1=72.