Probability of Getting at Least One Card from Each Suit

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
This will not help you in the long run, and could lead to serious problems when you are dealing with more complex probability problems. So, my advice is to learn the correct method first, and then try to see if you can come up with your own shortcuts. But always check them against the established methods before using them.
Taylor_1989
Hi all I am have a problem with this question I have used two method to solve and get two different ans, could someone please point where I am going wrong

Homework Statement

Five cards are dealt from a standard shuffled deck. What is the probability that:
There is at least one card from each of the four suits?[/B]

I wanted to see if I could attempt this question a different way to see if I could get the correct ans two ways. So what I did was say I pick 3 cards 2 from the same suit and one from another.

What I would like to know is my intuition correct because when I applied the same logic to the question above I got the same ans, I just want to make sure that I am not just getting the right ans from wrong workings

Now my ans for actual question which is in bold (13C2*13^3)/52C5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So what I did was to say that if I pick 3 cards 2 of the same suit from a 52 card deck I could use combinations to calculate the probability:

(13C2*13C1)/52C3 this gve me an ans of 39/850

This is the ans if I just say picked hearts twice as there are four suits I need to multiply through by 4

Now I the attempted the question like this:

P(HHO)=13/52 *12/51 * 39/50= 39/850

I got a bit confused thinking to my self should I not work out P(HOH) and P(OHH) but then I re read the question half a dozen times think order dose not matter therefore I only need to calculate P(HHO) thus the ans are the same, I then applied the the same logic to the question above and got the same ans. Is this the right way about thinking about this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
This is the ans if I just say picked hearts twice as there are four suits I need to multiply through by 4
Right. Where do you do that?
Taylor_1989 said:

Those are just three cards where you care about the order, and I don't see the relevance to the problem statement.

Taylor_1989 said:
Hi all I am have a problem with this question I have used two method to solve and get two different ans, could someone please point where I am going wrong

Homework Statement

Five cards are dealt from a standard shuffled deck. What is the probability that:
There is at least one card from each of the four suits?[/B]

I wanted to see if I could attempt this question a different way to see if I could get the correct ans two ways. So what I did was say I pick 3 cards 2 from the same suit and one from another.

What I would like to know is my intuition correct because when I applied the same logic to the question above I got the same ans, I just want to make sure that I am not just getting the right ans from wrong workings

Now my ans for actual question which is in bold (13C2*13^3)/52C5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So what I did was to say that if I pick 3 cards 2 of the same suit from a 52 card deck I could use combinations to calculate the probability:

(13C2*13C1)/52C3 this gve me an ans of 39/850

I got a bit confused thinking to my self should I not work out P(HOH) and P(OHH) but then I re read the question half a dozen times think order dose not matter therefore I only need to calculate P(HHO) thus the ans are the same, I then applied the the same logic to the question above and got the same ans. Is this the right way about thinking about this question?

The generalized hypergeometric distribution is useful here. If we have ##N_1## items of type 1, ##N_2## of type 2, ... ##N_r## of type ##r##, with a total of ##N = N_1 + N_2 + \cdots + N_r## items, and we choose ##n## items at random without replacement, then the probability ##p(k_1, k_2, \ldots, k_r)## that we select ##k_1## items of type 1, ##k_2## of type 2, ... and ##k_r## of type ##r## (with ##\sum k_i = n##) is
$$p(k_1, k_2, \ldots, k_r) = \frac{{N_1 \choose k_1} {N_2 \choose k_2} \cdots {N_r \choose k_r}}{{N \choose n}}$$
(Here, ##{a \choose b} = aCb##.)
So, for example, the probability that you get 2 hearts and one each of spades, clubs and diamonds, is ##p(2,1,1,1)##, computed with ##N_1 = N_2 = N_3 = N_4 = 13, N = 52## and ##n = 5##.

Last edited:
@mfb
No I use the three card as an easier way for me to understand what was going on less number ect that all. This is the first time I have ever done probability besides basic stuff so I like make up an easier question on the same principle so I can understand what is going on.

Taylor_1989 said:
@mfb
No I use the three card as an easier way for me to understand what was going on less number ect that all. This is the first time I have ever done probability besides basic stuff so I like make up an easier question on the same principle so I can understand what is going on.

This may be a poor strategy, if you are "making up" methods on your own that may (or may not) be wrong. You should check if your "simplified" way gives the same answer as the correct way.

As a word of warning: probability problems can be extremely tricky, and it is very easy to fall into a subtle trap. That is why I always recommend that beginners try to stay away from shortcuts, unless they are well-established shortcuts that have already been used many times by others (and appear in textbooks or papers, for example). I once read that probability is the subject in which more professional mathematicians have made errors that in any other field. That may be just a myth, but it serves as a useful reminder.

Ray Vickson said:
This may be a poor strategy, if you are "making up" methods on your own that may (or may not) be wrong. You should check if your "simplified" way gives the same answer as the correct way.

As a word of warning: probability problems can be extremely tricky, and it is very easy to fall into a subtle trap. That is why I always recommend that beginners try to stay away from shortcuts, unless they are well-established shortcuts that have already been used many times by others (and appear in textbooks or papers, for example). I once read that probability is the subject in which more professional mathematicians have made errors that in any other field. That may be just a myth, but it serves as a useful reminder.

Yes, I am just redoing my method now an realising that I am coming un stuck. I will stick using combinations as it make the most sense, I just wanted to see If I could apply this question to a generalised tree diagram and then workout from there. I just like to try different methods to is see if my ans correct. I am sure I have the correct ans by using the combination method I used above for the actual question?

(13C2*13^3)/52C5 is wrong.

What is the "Check probability method"?

The check probability method is a statistical tool used to determine the likelihood of an event or outcome occurring. It involves calculating the ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes.

How is the "Check probability method" used in scientific research?

In scientific research, the check probability method is used to analyze data and determine the significance of results. It can be used to test hypotheses and make predictions based on observed data.

What are the limitations of the "Check probability method"?

One limitation of the check probability method is that it assumes all outcomes are equally likely, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account other factors that may influence the likelihood of an event occurring.

What is the difference between "Check probability method" and other statistical methods?

The check probability method is a simple and straightforward approach to determining probability, while other statistical methods may involve more complex calculations and analyses. Additionally, the check probability method is based on the assumption of equally likely outcomes, whereas other methods may take into account other factors and variables.

How can the "Check probability method" be applied in daily life?

The check probability method can be applied in daily life to make decisions based on probabilities. For example, it can be used to determine the likelihood of winning a game of chance or to predict the probability of an event occurring in the future.