How many equivalent hydrogens are there in octane?

• Thread starter MechRocket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the answer to my Kaplan test (studying for the DAT, just FYI) says 3, but I think it's 4?
MechRocket
The answer to my Kaplan test (studying for the DAT, just FYI) says 3, but I think it's 4?

Am I wrong?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To which structural isomer of octane are you referring? And do you mean non-equivalent hydrogens?

Assuming you mean n-octane, I think you are correct in principle that there are 4 kinds .. in other words, if you use the substitution test, you can create 4 distinct molecules by substituting a single H-atom with an F-atom. However, for the purpose of determining NMR shifts in alkanes (which I assume is what you are asking about), I am fairly sure that only the nearest-neighbor groups matter. Assuming that is true, can you now see why n-octane has only 3 non-equivalent types of hydrogens?

SpectraCat said:
To which structural isomer of octane are you referring? And do you mean non-equivalent hydrogens?

Assuming you mean n-octane, I think you are correct in principle that there are 4 kinds .. in other words, if you use the substitution test, you can create 4 distinct molecules by substituting a single H-atom with an F-atom. However, for the purpose of determining NMR shifts in alkanes (which I assume is what you are asking about), I am fairly sure that only the nearest-neighbor groups matter. Assuming that is true, can you now see why n-octane has only 3 non-equivalent types of hydrogens?

I'd be inclined to disagree there, even for NMR, though for e.g. distinguishing between 3- and 4-halooctanes there may not be that much of a difference in shift, in principle this still exists.

sjb-2812 said:
I'd be inclined to disagree there, even for NMR, though for e.g. distinguishing between 3- and 4-halooctanes there may not be that much of a difference in shift, in principle this still exists.

I agree .. in practice it's all a question of resolution. The fact is the the OP is right, and strictly speaking there are 4 non-equivalent types of hydrogens in n-octane. However I am not sure if there is a strong enough magnet to distinguish the difference in chemical shifts of H-atoms on the 3rd and 4th carbons.

However given the phrasing of your post, I think it's important to point out that we are not talking about halo-octanes at all, but just normal n-octane (at least I think so, the OP has still not confirmed that is the correct structural isomer). So, there is no heteroatom in the molecule we are considering .. the substitution test I mentioned is just a thought-experiment to determine chemical non-equivalence. I do agree that if there were a heteroatom in the molecule, the dependence of the chemical shifts of H-atoms on the distance from the substitution site would be more pronounced.

Yes, I was talking about n-octane and yes, I meant non-equiv hydrogens.

Thanks guys, I guess Kaplan is wrong here.

1. How do you determine the number of equivalent hydrogens in octane?

The number of equivalent hydrogens in a molecule can be determined by looking at its structure and counting the number of identical hydrogen atoms that are bonded to the same type of carbon atom. In octane, all eight hydrogen atoms are bonded to primary carbon atoms, making them equivalent.

2. What is the importance of knowing the number of equivalent hydrogens in octane?

Knowing the number of equivalent hydrogens in a molecule is important for predicting its chemical and physical properties. In octane, the equivalent hydrogens play a role in determining its boiling point, flammability, and reactivity with other molecules.

3. Are all hydrogens in octane considered equivalent?

No, only the eight hydrogens bonded to primary carbon atoms are considered equivalent. The two hydrogens bonded to the tertiary carbon atom in octane are not equivalent due to their different chemical environments.

4. How does the number of equivalent hydrogens in octane affect its formula and molecular weight?

The number of equivalent hydrogens in octane does not affect its formula, which is C8H18. However, it does affect its molecular weight, as each equivalent hydrogen adds 1 atomic mass unit (amu) to the overall molecular weight. Therefore, octane has a molecular weight of 114 amu (8 carbons x 12 amu + 18 hydrogens x 1 amu).

5. Can you determine the number of equivalent hydrogens in octane using a chemical formula alone?

No, the number of equivalent hydrogens in octane cannot be determined solely by its chemical formula. It requires knowledge of its molecular structure and the different types of carbon atoms present. A structural formula or 3D model of the molecule is necessary for accurate determination of equivalent hydrogens.