How many grains of sand are on Earth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Negi Magi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fermi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Negi Magi
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
1. How many sands on the earth?



2. Hints: Using the Fermi estimation



3.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
What did you do so far? Where did you run into problems?
What is "sands"? Do you mean grains of sand?
Yes, I mean the "grains of sand"

I do not really understand your first two questions.
 
From the board rules:
NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.

This is not a board where others do your homework. We can help you if you run into problems, but it is your homework.
 
mfb said:
From the board rules:This is not a board where others do your homework. We can help you if you run into problems, but it is your homework.
Oh,yes. When I first saw this question, I have no idea about that. However, now I know that this question is a kind of Fermi questions, which need appropriate estimation.

But the problem is that I do not know how to start. There is another Fermi question, " How many Piano Tuners in New York? " , I can do that by using the estimation of the population of NY, the amount of pianos, the working time of Tuners, etc.

However, when I am asked for "How many grains of sand? ", I don't know what data should I use to estimate
 
One way to approach it is to think about what parameters, if changed, would radically change your answer. E.g. if all the sand grains were a million times smaller than they actually are, that would make a lot more of them. Would this alter any other information available to you? If not, having an estimate for average grain size will be essential.
 
I found this short book on order of magnitude estimation rather helpful

Link