How many grams of Ca(OH)2 and NaCl for these solutions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter buffgilville
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Grams
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
buffgilville
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Please help me with this:

Calculate how many grams of solute are necessary to prepare:
1) 100 mL of 0.1 N (Normal Solution) Ca(OH)2 (molecular weight = 74)

2) 100 mL 5% NaCl (molecular weight = 40)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far and where are you getting stuck?
 
I know how to find the solute of Molarity of solution, but I don't know how to find the grams of solute for Normal Solution. I've never done this type of question, and I can't find the formula to find it.

As for question 2, I I know that a solution is 1% when it contains 1 gram of solute per 100 mL of solution. The question is 100mL of 5% NaCl. Does that mean that there is 5 grams of solute? Is there a formula for solving this type of problems?
 
A 0.1 Normal solution contains 0.1 moles of solute per liter of solution.