How many grams of hydrogen react with 50g of nitrogen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lolecules
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stoichiometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
lolecules
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"How many grams of hydrogen are necessary to react completely with 50.0g of nitrogen in the below reaction?"

Homework Equations



N2+3H3 ---> 2NH3

The Attempt at a Solution



16.1g H?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lolecules said:
50gN/1 1molN/28gN 3molH/1mol N 3gH/1molH
Close enough, I didn't round off like you did.
 
I guess my only question is since N2 is diatomic, then the molar mass of the nitrogen goes from 14 to 28?
 
lolecules said:
I guess my only question is since N2 is diatomic, then the molar mass of the nitrogen goes from 14 to 28?
That's right.
 
3gH/1molH
Um, so would that also mean here the molar mass of should be changed to 6...so the answer would be 32.14g?
 
Dangit, after looking at your problem. I didn't even notice you messed up the reaction equation. It's Hydrogen gas, [tex]H_2[/tex], not [tex]H_3[/tex]. Fix that and it's solved.
 
Sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but I didnt want to just start a new one for basically the same thing...I just wanted to ask...

5 L N2/1 1molN2/22.4L N2

That's how I began setting up a problem, but is 22.4 right? Should it be something different since Nitrogen is diatomic?
 
The volume of one mol of any gas at standard temp/pressure is 22.4 I don't care if it's gaseous Uranium.

22.4