Tuition waiver for PhD (no TA/research funding)

  • Topic: Admissions 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Tone L
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Funding Phd
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Tone L
Messages
72
Reaction score
7
Hey guys. I currently work at a research institution as a junior level research scientist.
I plan to earn a PhD (I have a B.S.), at the local university. The institution works closely with the local university and I have many adjunct professors within my lab. My plan would be to apply to a PhD program at the university. I would maintain 30-40 hours a week @ work and take 1 or 2 classes a semester until I get my M.S., then start work on my PhD, slowly but surely, maybe 3 years time after I complete masters course load.

Say I apply to the PhD program, what is the likelihood I will have tuition waived if I don't need funding since I will be working quasi full time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Anthony LaRosa said:
what is the likelihood I will have tuition waived if I don't need funding

These are two separate things on the books. It depends entirely on the institutions involved.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
These are two separate things on the books. It depends entirely on the institutions involved.
NASA and Univ. of Maryland, CP
 
berkeman said:
Some companies pay your tuition for continuing education. Does NASA?
I should of added I am not a federal employee (I do not work directly for NASA). My company however pays for some tuition reimbursement. Not all of it or nearly enough!
 
Anthony LaRosa said:
Say I apply to the PhD program, what is the likelihood I will have tuition waived if I don't need funding since I will be working quasi full time.

Someone will have to pay for your tuition. Not needing funding is irrelevant because you are using the services of the institution.

Zz.
 
A tuition waiver is part of the financial support you get for being a TA or RA. The university is getting something in exchange for it, namely your services as TA/RA.
 
Anthony LaRosa said:
I should of added I am not a federal employee (I do not work directly for NASA). My company however pays for some tuition reimbursement. Not all of it or nearly enough!

Then you don't work for NASA and it is misleading to say so.

Your company has a policy for tuition reimbursement, if it isn't enough for where you want to go, either go somewhere else or suck it up and pay the difference. Remember, many companies have a policy where you need to stay X number of years after earning a degree or you have to pay the tuition benefits back (and they do come after you, a friend of mine has to pay back $10K to a former employer and they went after him in court to get it).